Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Feigning weakness

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this standard if you know somebody will bet the Ace, either as a bluff or as really having it? I liked it at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still no?

If a player called the flop with an Ace (or with any overcard for that matter) the likelihood of you being raised on the turn is high - because your flop bet generally means - "I have a pair"

Given the trashly look of the board - they'd probably put you on a lone pair of 9's. If you bet the turn - your very often going to get raised by someone holding an Ace - given your description that the player may bluff an Ace - it is even more likely he'll raise an Ace (passive players generally don't bluff, ergo bluffers usually are agressive, ergo, aggressive players usually raise.)

So bet again on the turn - let the ace raise if it's there. By checking - you are simply leaving potential bets on the table.

It's only a 3 handed pot - who's going to do the betting?

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this standard if you know somebody will bet the Ace, either as a bluff or as really having it? I liked it at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still no?

If a player called the flop with an Ace (or with any overcard for that matter) the likelihood of you being raised on the turn is high - because your flop bet generally means - "I have a pair"

Given the trashly look of the board - they'd probably put you on a lone pair of 9's. If you bet the turn - your very often going to get raised by someone holding an Ace - given your description that the player may bluff an Ace - it is even more likely he'll raise an Ace (passive players generally don't bluff, ergo bluffers usually are agressive, ergo, aggressive players usually raise.)

So bet again on the turn - let the ace raise if it's there. By checking - you are simply leaving potential bets on the table.

It's only a 3 handed pot - who's going to do the betting?

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ok good point. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:42 PM

Assuming you were that positive one of them would bet, I think it's the best way to maximize your profits. Seems fairly standard to me.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Raise preflop. Bet/3-bet the turn.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop? Explain that to me. I read HEFAP twice, and he says only raise out of the BB in a multiway pot with AA, KK, and sometimes AKs. Of course, I never read SSH, so I could be missing out on something. Anybody wanna fill me in on what they raise out of the BB with in a multi-way unraised pot?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody wanna fill me in on what they raise out of the BB with in a multi-way unraised pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

when about to flop a set it's wise to raise your pocket pairs.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody wanna fill me in on what they raise out of the BB with in a multi-way unraised pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

when about to flop a set it's wise to raise your pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinkin the same thing.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop? Explain that to me. I read HEFAP twice, and he says only raise out of the BB in a multiway pot with AA, KK, and sometimes AKs. Of course, I never read SSH, so I could be missing out on something. Anybody wanna fill me in on what they raise out of the BB with in a multi-way unraised pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

With aggressive players (esp. to your left) pocket pairs become more valuable because you get paid more when you flop a set. Of course there's always an outside chance that no overcards will come on the flop. 99 is usually the best hand in an unraised pot. I would've raised.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is close for me on being multiway. I have been getting more aggressive since moving to 6-max, so maybe I'm biased. I still think it's close. Maybe one more limper and I'd lean towards checking, but I'd raise here.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM

If these games really are as bad and loose as its said they are then you are wasting time with such advanced ploys as "feigning weakness". If they really ARE weak you are better off betting out and betting the river, since they are more likely to give you two bets than if you check-raise (definately not weak), encouraging them not to pay it off.

And if he has a big Ace, you are STILL probably better off betting into to him since your chances of 3-betting are pretty good. The only real exception is if you are sure you can trap other folks in for a single bet twice, but they won't call the AKs raise cold, or if you figure you won't get a single call unless he has an Ace.

And if he checks you'll wish you had bet, against loose callers anywy.

In this case you are risking losing a turn call to make more money with the raise. That's mostly a function of the aggressiveness of the opponenns than anything else.

I'm sure this is true: the strategy of mindlessly flailing away with a set until you are beat and then paying it off, is almost as good as the "best" set-flopping strategy.

- Louie