Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Feigning weakness (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=268851)

Cumulonimbus 06-08-2005 07:14 PM

Feigning weakness

Is this standard if you know somebody will bet the Ace, either as a bluff or as really having it? I liked it at the time.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Nimbus is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Nimbus checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Nimbus bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Nimbus checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Nimbus raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Nimbus bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB

CashFlo 06-08-2005 07:18 PM

Re: Feigning weakness

i think anybody would've bet the turn too after you checked the turn (looks like u semi-bluffed overcards on the flop).

still, i think i woulda stayed aggressive on the turn with both the flush and straight draws out there.

Sarge85 06-08-2005 07:21 PM

I think it probably could have gone like this:

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Nimbus bets, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Nimbus 3-Bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO - bet the turn -

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Cumulonimbus 06-08-2005 07:22 PM

But it's not like they're gonna fold their draws, so I should mainly be thinking how to get the most money in the pot on the turn right? Hence my line.

Sarge85 06-08-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's not like they're gonna fold their draws, so I should mainly be thinking how to get the most money in the pot on the turn right? Hence my line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shitty - because it just as easily could have gone:

Nimbus checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 checks</font>, CO checks,

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] &lt;who's feeling really cynical today -sorry that came off bad&gt;

Vote4Pedro 06-08-2005 07:27 PM

exactly

TripleH68 06-08-2005 07:33 PM

In an unraised pot there is decent reason to believe an Ax may be out. It is also reasonable that you were taking a stab at the pot from BB.

However, I would like a read that the player to my immediate left is very aggressive. You don't want anybody folding and checking through really stinks.

I have been advised by 2+2 books and this board numerous times that straightforward play usualy wins the most $. I think this is what Sarge is trying to tell you.

Cumulonimbus 06-08-2005 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this standard if you know somebody will bet the Ace, either as a bluff or as really having it? I liked it at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key.

Cumulonimbus 06-08-2005 07:38 PM

The player to the left was very aggressive, the other one was loose passive - but I had a feeling he'd donk-bet if checked to. He's done it in the past.

So in that regards, assuming that I was 90% sure one of them would bet, was it a good line?

crazymoose 06-08-2005 07:42 PM

Assuming you were that positive one of them would bet, I think it's the best way to maximize your profits. Seems fairly standard to me.