Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Betting and Pott Odds for Hold Em

How exactly can you put your opponent on a flush draw when there's been no action?

Aside from that, we can't really answer this question in the abstract since you haven't provided stack sizes.

I will say that the posters who advocate betting the pot here are generally wrong, because many opponents would fold their flush draw on the flop for a pot-size bet.

You have top set, your opponent just has a draw, bet something small that he is likely to call. But again, it can depend on stack sizes, your opponent's propensities, and how you think your opponent perceives you.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will say that the posters who advocate betting the pot here are generally wrong, because many opponents would fold their flush draw on the flop for a pot-size bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's very rarely correct to fold the nut flush draw to a pot-sized bet on the flop, particularly if you are in position. Do people really do that? The nut flush draw often has 12 or 15 outs, and could be far ahead of a hand that is semi-bluffing. A nut flush draw is rarely far behind one pair, so unless the stacks are very deep, raising all-in is usually better than folding.

[ QUOTE ]
You have top set, your opponent just has a draw, bet something small that he is likely to call. But again, it can depend on stack sizes, your opponent's propensities, and how you think your opponent perceives you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The player with AJs has a lot of false outs, the 3 aces and the case king, plus more on the river after the board pairs. This argues for making a callable bet, then getting a lot more chips in after AJ improves, but not enough. However, it is hard to say anything without knowing the preflop actions, positions, and stack sizes. Most of the time, these are more important to me that having a read on my opponent.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:47 AM

Gawd, this Reef guy is a moron. An A will not win for the villian. Learn to read the board and recognize a set
Old 10-22-2004, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gawd, this Reef guy is a moron. An A will not win for the villian. Learn to read the board and recognize a set

[/ QUOTE ]
It was a silly mistake, but when you call Reef a moron, you look just as bad. <font color="white">Yes, I realize Reef called himself a moron. Reef looks just as bad as Reef, ok?</font>
Old 10-22-2004, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's very rarely correct to fold the nut flush draw to a pot-sized bet on the flop, particularly if you are in position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, but from the original poster's statement of the problem we don't necessarily put our opponent on the nut flush draw, just a flush draw.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:58 PM

hehe, look at the poster. It was actually myself who was calling myself a moron
Old 10-22-2004, 04:12 PM

This is why I sometimes put comments in white in my posts. <font color="white">If someone objects, I can point to the comment in the original post. Anyone quoting rather than replying would see my comment, too.</font>
Old 10-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Wow, that was sneaky. Touche`
Old 10-22-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Answer

He thinks he has 12 outs (any ace, any spade). You know he has 8 outs at present (not K of spades).

If he misses his flush on the turn, he has 7 outs on the river (if the river is a spade that is the same as the turn, you make a full house).

Bet something here that makes it incorrect for him to call. He needs 15 outs to call a pot sized bet to see the next card. So bet close to the pot. If he raises you, all the better.

Then re-evaluate after you see the turn card. At worst, you will have 10 outs and great implied odds if you hit your full house/4 of a kind.