Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Enough bets with full house?

You think he is loose enough to play A9(probably suited) UTG? Will he actually limp with AQ or AA? He probably doesn't have QQ because he didn't raise preflop or fold to the 3-bet on the turn. He probably was looking to get tricky and limp reraise with AA, but didn't get a chance to. I think calling is best in this spot.

Garland
Old 03-14-2004, 05:15 PM

Not reraising the river at least once is ridiculous. He could have had AA, but he also could have had some other hands (like AQ). If he had AA, why didn't he reraise the turn? A turn reraise has the potential to get the most from a draw, and the most from a second best fullhouse/trips.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:50 PM

It looks like the hand to fear is A9 but UTG could have a hand like 10-9s. I'm reraising and calling a four-bet.

If he does have A9 or QQ (was he planning a limp reraise preflop?), c'est la vie.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:59 PM

Nobody's considering some rather obvious possibilities.

1. His opponent is putting Clarkmeister on a flush draw and is trying to make Clarkmeister fold while holding a no-pair hand himself.

2. The aggrssive player has the flush draw and was trying to blow Clarkmeister off his hand both on the turn with a semi-bluff and on the river with a pure bluf.

3. His opponent has a weak Ace and is now expecting to chop the pot with the Queen kicker that hit on the river.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:36 PM

After he raises the river, put in $160 to see his AA, not $480.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Okay, okay

I'm not saying I'm putting him on it, but whenever someone limps UTG, in a game like this, I'm thinking about it. After reading the first 1/3 of your post I thought: "I bet UTG has AA." Reread it yourself, and tell me you wouldn't have thought the same thing. Maybe you just telegraphed it too much. I guess they must limp with hands other than AA UTG sometimes in these games.

Would he have limped UTG w/AK AQ? Maybe. With AA?

Hope you got lucky and he had AQ.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:30 PM

my my how those cards automatically change when you play a littler higher.

My my how those aggressive stances you would normally take in a typical mid-limit game change because the stakes just got higher.

Clarky...., here is what I would do, assuming I was in your exact situation on the river.

I would bet, when UTG raises, I would reraise, if he reraises again, then i'd call.

I would seriously question myself as a poker player if I didn't 3-bet this hand on the river, and just bet and called his raise when I had the 5th best possible hand on the river and the 3rd best hand on the turn.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:32 PM

why don't you just put in $0, and live to fight another day, if you think he has AA??
Old 03-14-2004, 11:36 PM

Well, Clark, I call here, and it must be wrong, as the consensus suggests, and maybe it's because if I'm playing 80/160 I'm in over my head. I can't believe the Q helped him, I think he was ready to raise the river no matter rather than suspect AQ. 77 seems likely even though I have a 7 in my hand. But I don't raise, because I'm so confused, and I don't want to give up 4 bets to a better hand, partly because I don't think a worse hand ever 4-bets, and I'm beginning to feel that ache in my tummy.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:38 PM

"But then again, he did not 4-bet the turn"

If I was up against Clarky and had AA, in this spot I wouldn't 4-bet the turn either.