Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: How music effects my play....

I have my poker playlist that for about the first hour is a lot of bella fleck and madeski, martin and wood to get me in a fun mood then 2-3 rageg against the machine songs to wake me up then some jazz to remind me to play smart
Old 06-04-2005, 01:19 PM

I found out the hard way that listening to Metal while playing is not an EV+ strategy.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:28 PM

your not listening to the correct kind then
Old 06-04-2005, 07:52 PM

yes, metal tends to make me more confused or inattentive, because i am usually doing something else while i play, so when the action is on me, if im listening to metal, i usually just look at my hand, as opposed to looking at position, raises etc.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 AM

I find that www.di.fm ( chill out) helps me concentrate. Other music just makes me do stupid stuff.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:40 AM

Peter Gabriel's Passion (the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ directed by Martin Scorcese), Mozart-Beethoven-Bach. These are for the cerebral type of modes, of course. Because, I think, they are all mathmatically complex and we all know that poker is about people AND numbers. To just jam and ignore the jerk to my left making reminders of my one bad beat toward the beginning of the session. I listen to Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Nine Inch Nails (the new one is very good, his sober work is more interesting to me as I recently got my life back on track) Mars Volta (Thy are my new favorite!!! Very interesting, exciting, and original) I just cant stand the long line of hacks that may as well have gotten their record deals from appearing on American Idol. Anyway, time to get off my soapbox and get some sleep. Good luck and remember to be patient no matter how obnoxious the competition.
But to more fully answer the post- whatever floats your boat is best. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 07:34 PM

I keep my iPod on very low almost all the time. Doesn't matter what's playing... I keep it at a very low hum. It never ceases to amaze me what players will reveal about their hands and their decision making process when they think I can't hear them.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:00 PM

DUH! Jimmy Hendrix, the Doors, Janis Joplin, War.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:03 PM

I've been listening to Beck's new album 'Guero' exclusively while playing micro-limit LHE. I used to listen to NIN while playing NLHE STTs, because STTs are much more aggro than most things you run into while playing cash games.

I found some of my old classical cds. I might give those a spin. U guys ever heard Tchaikovsky's March Slav? God, I love that one.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:05 AM

I listen to classical music and whatever my favorite songs are. I really only do it to help pass the time and help me breathe and relax at the table. Classical is not my favorite music, but it definitely has its effects (they say it makes you smarter, after all!)