Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Home game--no smoking--bad host?

yeah if you're gathering users from the internet, when you post your game you can def say no smoking in the house - lay out the groundrules cause its your house - but good question

rick
citypokergames.com
Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hosting my first game. A few of the people I'm inviting are smokers, but I don't want smoking in my house.

Am I a bad host if I make them go outside to smoke?

I was also considering setting up a table on my porch (weather says supposed to be 78 degrees). What do you think?

Thanks, H

[/ QUOTE ]

a) no you are not a bad host... they shouldn't be expecting to be able to smoke inside -- nobody ever smokes inside buildings nowadays and almost never inside houses

b) i like the outside idea -- i tried that a couple weeks ago with some friends and it worked really well. just hope it's not windy which will ruin your time.

c) however, if you are a Mike Caro fan... you may want to let them smoke as it can be -- and i quote -- "verrrry profitable..."
Old 08-02-2005, 02:45 AM

As a smoker, I like to be able to smoke at the card table, but I would never expect someone to allow it, think bad about them for not allowing it, or not go to a game because it was non-smoking.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 AM

id probly live longer if there was no smoking at my game, i usually smoke close to 2 packs in like an 11 hour session
Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 AM

Why is it that smoking and poker go together so well? In normal life, I smoke a pack every three days or so, but I can smoke that in a single poker game easily.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the smoking....well, several of the people that attend my game are also avid masturbators, but that doesn't mean I let them cum on my kitchen floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you wouldn't! Like the thoughtful host you are I'm sure you provide tissues (and ashtrays for the smokers).

Got to protect that carpet from all those guys!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 AM

I don't let my MOTHER smoke in the house- why would I let poker players?

We do have a covered porch for inclement days, but usually set them up on the deck.
No one has had a problem with it.

Why would that make you a bad host?

As far as playing on the deck- how loud will the game get and will you have any wind? You'll have to keep the bugs away, since you'll have to have good lighting. If you're running a MTT, communications will have to be handled.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM

Smokers are often social creatures who seek companionship when outside my house smoking. Subsequently, my home games are painfully slow because half the people playing decide to go outside for five minutes and there's three of us left at the table not sure if we should play or wait.

It's really annoying and I'm always actively seeking non-smoking players to take their spots. Until I can find new blood, necessary evil. Outside will work, but it's still crappy to sit next to a smoker if you don't.

Rob
Old 08-02-2005, 11:39 AM

I've had a nonsmoking game attended by smokers for years. It's never been a problem for those who smoke to go out on the porch. We take piss & smoke breaks regularly for tournies and as mentioned above, in cash games they can sit out hands, as can anyone, when they need a break.

If your house is non smoking there's no reason to change for poker night. The vast majority of home games I'm familiar with are non smoking.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:36 AM

porch... where in wis?