Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2003, 09:41 PM

Default you need to raise

You're probably the only one with a flush here, so you should cap the flop. Don't get nervous until a strong player puts in a third bet on the turn (or a passive player puts in a fourth bet).
Old 06-11-2003, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Flopped Diamonds

Since you are in early position, I'm with the cap the flop crowd and lead the turn if a non-diamond hits.

Either way you want to lead the turn when the 7s hits and again lead the river when another non-diamond hits.

"what did everyone have?"

They all had Corona's. Oh, the hands, lady has QJo, MP has AKo with Ad, and MP has 88.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:33 AM

Its hard to believe that someone else flopped a flush (or at least i wouldnt want to think so) so i would cap the flop here. He may be 3-betting with high pair to charge anyone going for a draw, he could also have A of diamonds.

Bet out on the turn to see where you are. If you get raised then you can call then check on the river.

Also you said you wanted to bet out on the flop to "try to clear the field." If you wanted to do that you should go for a check-raise.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:26 AM

Your hand is definitely worth another raise somewhere. I'd cap the flop and fire again on the turn most of the time.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:24 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My main question is why if he only raises with big pocket pairs would you stay with 3 5 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I stayed in was because the only one who folded was in the small blind. That usually tells me that most of the players in probably have big cards. I am going to make that call every time for one more small bet. If I don't hit on the flop I have an easy laydown.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Results

On the flop I thought it was close between raising and calling. The only thing that I was afraid of was TA, I was having a hard time reading him all night and I thought that he might have a bigger flush. He had been making some huge laydowns all night, if he had made two pair on the flop he would have thrown it away to my bet. My thinking was that if he made it 4-bets on the flop I know I am beat and I would have an easy laydown. When he just called the only hand I could put him on that I could beat would be a set of eights. I was fairly confident that the older lady had the naked A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] , but I still wasn't sure what MP had.

Thinking back on the hand there were several places where I should have raised. One of my problems is I get a little gun-shy with those baby flushes.

Older Lady: A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] x
TA: Flopped Set of 8's
MP: Rivered Set of K's with the K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] in his hand
I take down the huge pot.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Results

If TA would throw away 2-pair to your bet on the flop, you have to change him from TA to weak-tight. If he was making laydowns like this all night, he's losing money.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Results

OK, maybe that was a bad example. What I mean is he never hesistated to throw his hand away when he knew he was beat. But when he had you beat you were gonna hear about it. With this hand he had a good chance of improving. I agree that on a few situations he probably did play weak-tight, but overall he was very Tight and very Agressive.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:03 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My main question is why if he only raises with big pocket pairs would you stay with 3 5 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's in the BB, and there are 7 other players in the hand, so he's getting 15-1 on his preflop call. Easy, easy call.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:14 PM

Default FYI to all

fyi - At CP the cap is a bet and 4 raises.

Jason, I think the key to this hand is: how likely is MP to raise a turn bet with AA [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] , KK [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] , or JJ? If he'll raise the turn when a blank (non-diamond and doesn't pair the board) falls, then I'd lead the turn and 3-bet his turn raise. If he won't raise your turn bet, then I'd go for the check-raise on the turn. In either case I prefer a 4-bet on the flop.