Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Was this unethnical?

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell did this guy become the chip leader if he called a raise with 9/2? Looks like this game could be very profitable for you. Christ I thought my friends sucked at poker.

Good luck,
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm reading the action correctly hero min raised to 6k, and big stack only has to pay 3k more to see a flop from the BB. Its only 3 handed and if like a lot of tournies top two pay out he can push hero around quite a bit. Plus it looks like he's got position on hero who is the SB, and with that kind of chiplead will be able to steal the pot quite a few times regardless of his cards.

Other than stupidly showing his cards he played it fine.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:28 PM

So let me get this straight. You only had 16,300 to start the hand, and you min-raised with AQ 1/3 your stack? Then bet 1/2 your stack on the flop? So, he puts you all in after the flop. There is 15,000 in there. You bet 5,000. He pushes for the remainder of your chips, so you have to pay 5300 for a pot that has 30k in it. So the pot is laying you 6:1 to call, and you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the hand.

Lastly, you fold leaving yourself just more than 1.5BB.

Only thing unethical is how badly you played this hand.

Nick
Old 08-27-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this straight. You only had 16,300 to start the hand, and you min-raised with AQ 1/3 your stack? Then bet 1/2 your stack on the flop? So, he puts you all in after the flop. There is 15,000 in there. You bet 5,000. He pushes for the remainder of your chips, so you have to pay 5300 for a pot that has 30k in it. So the pot is laying you 6:1 to call, and you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the hand.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night was the first time I ever played a no-limit tourny. I've only played any no-limit game once or twice, so I am not comfortable or good at playing it. I wasn't thinking along the lines you were. I was just thinking, "Oh, sh!t, he has 2 pair."
Old 08-27-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell did this guy become the chip leader if he called a raise with 9/2? Looks like this game could be very profitable for you. Christ I thought my friends sucked at poker.

Good luck,
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

He called a raise w/ 9/2 because he was chip leader by a large margin and we were short-handed. But other than that, these guys were really bad for the most part. I came in 2nd and my boss who knew one of the players came in 3rd. We had 2 rebuys per person (2 max), and my boss and I were the only players not to rebuy at all. Everyone else including the winner rebought in 2 times. The reason the winner won was because 4 players including him went all-in on one hand and he ended up winning that hand.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:17 PM

How about no? What you are saying is that its ok to throw away the rest of your chips since you the odds is right? Even if you are beaten on the flop like he was? This seems really strange to me and a nice fold, since he saved 5,3k which he can use in a better. What if he actually doubles up next round? That puts him at a nice 10,6k at which he almost was at the start of this hand?

He would have gone out third but now instead finished second.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:14 PM

It's not throwing your chips away if the odds are right. Horrible but ethical play.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 AM

No.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't his hand dead if he shows his hand before all betting is complete?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the rule states that his hand is dead if he exposes his cards in a multi-way pot. However, since it is a home game tourney, that particular rule may not apply.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:54 PM

Assuming that's the way it really occurred, no, he either was a doofus and made a bad assumption or was pulling a trick play of his own.