Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Your play here....

I think you can call here like you did and then all in after BB leads out with 2 pair and UTG calls/raises with AA.

Maybe UTG has 99, but he is just as likely to have AA IMO. You want to keep BB in this pot as long as possible. (Not like he is going anywhere with his stack/hand/pot size though).
Old 05-31-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF limp is okay.

Very poor flop play. You're behind 99 and 86. Min raising accomplishes nothing here. I like a pot size raise.

Push when the action is back to you. The pot is large and the board is draw heavy. If you're shown 86 then it's no big deal - you have a redraw and well, he got lucky. If you're called and shown 9x, 2 pair, or AA-TT then good for you. If you're shown 99 just type "nh" and fire up the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I'm thinking here. With the minraise and teh ~1/2 pot raise behind your own minraise, is there serious disagreement here that you're going to the felt? In a deep stacked ring game, obviously you'd have to think about this more. What if you made the pot-raise in the first place and then BB came over the top on the c/r? Is this a call? I could see many players makign this move with 97, maybe 75, certainly 55, and obviously 86 and 99, maybe even JJ-TT, though I'd guess many would raise there after all those limps.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to keep BB in this pot as long as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. You should want to win this pot. That should be the only objective.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Joking? Not really. Exaggerating? Yeah probably.

Honestly though, put BB on a hand. That is exactly how the majority of players would play 86.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 2 pair. But 2 pair possibilities are more numerous than 86 possibilities.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post flop, I'm completely confused by the reraise and then re-reraise by UTG+1 and then the BB. I can't put either on 99 but maybe an overpair or A9, K9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand ranges are 99, 55, 89, 56, TT, JJ, A9, K9, J9, T9, 97, 75, 68 and sometimes a misplayed AA.

What are your thoughts as soon as you see this flop? My thoughts are that I'm going for broke on this hand. I want all my chips in the middle as soon as possible. This board is a little too coordinated for me. On the flop, there's only two hands you really fear and that's 99 or 86. IMO, you need to be aggressive. Otherwise, fold your small pocket pair preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets t40, MP2 calls t40, Hero raises to t80, SB folds, BB calls t80, UTG+1 raises to t120, MP2 folds, Hero calls t40, BB raises to t330, UTG+1 calls t210, Hero calls t210.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously think it's a mistake to call this bet. These guys want to play. BB is the only hand you're worried about here. UTG+1's hand you have beat. The fact that it's the BB means that he could literally have any hand here, like 86. Very disconcerting.

Before the final t210 call, you need to decide. Am I going to play this hand more, or do I fold. If you are not going to play this hand anymore, fold now. Don't call the t210. I think there's a lot to be said for playing a little defense here. But, since you called, I find that to be the worst decision of the three possible. If you're going to play, play = PUSH. Don't let a 6 or an 8 hit without making the other guys pay to play.

When it comes back to you on the BB raise, raise again. Frankly, I'd bet the pot or push at this stage.

Scuba
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM

I am talking from turn on. I was not making any commentary on the flop play.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Joking? Not really. Exaggerating? Yeah probably.

Honestly though, put BB on a hand. That is exactly how the majority of players would play 86.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 2 pair. But 2 pair possibilities are more numerous than 86 possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an incredibly odd way to play 2 pair on a coordinated board.

FWIW, I'm running terrible and seeing monsters everywhere. At this rate, I'd advocate folding KK on the bubble to a shortstack all-in because I'd be certain they had AA. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I just can't see any other hand but 86 here a large percentage of the time.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be pretty obvious that BB has 86 here about 95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's completely false. I'm willing to admit that BB has 99, 55, 86, 95, 97, or 57 here 95% of the time (95% might still be a little high). This range makes this a completely different decision than assuming your opponenet always has the nuts. The fact that BB could have two pair or an underset makes this decision much more mathematical.

I have found it a mistake to always assume villain has the nuts because that's what you fear.

Scuba

BTW, if BB "flashed" you 86, I would still call the t210 bet. The implied odds are enough for you if you hit on the turn.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM

Kryo -

Not picking on you, but I'd have to be 100% certain that he had 86... and even then I may still push! The reason for this is the restricted structure of the SNG. It simply doesn't reward "big laydowns."

As for running bad, beat up a 6 max game for a while. Does wonders for the ole ego.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for this is the restricted structure of the SNG. It simply doesn't reward "big laydowns."

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going along with what you were saying until this statement. This is false. Very early in SNG tournaments, "big laydowns" are rewarded in ROI. It may not be rewarded in $/hr. But I don't think you were referring to $/hr.