Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: You can\'t play poker standing up

[ QUOTE ]
After over three years of playing at Caesar's In they decided tonight that I couldn't be dealt cards unless I sat down. New dealer and floor people I didn't recognize insisted it was the rule that I couldn't be dealt cards if I was standing.

For those of you who haven't figured it out, I am fat. After about four or five hours of sitting, I start to hurt and I need to stand for a little while. A dealer I have never seen before starts her down and informs me I have to sit down if I want cards. I stand up on a regular basis and have for the pretty much the entire time I have been playing poker. I don't stand up for long 10 or 15 minutes just until I quit hurting and am ready to sit again.

Billy (poker room manager)just happened to be standing there when I decided to leave and He said He would talk to the floor about it.

All this venting aside, is standing up against the rules everywhere or just tonight at Caesar's IN?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is complete BS. The last time I was at Caesar's, I was seated next to the big 1/2 O, 1/2 HE PL game and one of the regs played for at least 1/2 hour standing up.

The rule is bogus as is their enforcement of it obviously.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:31 PM

The dealer says, "Hi Steamboatin', I know I'm new and all but you cannot get cards unless you sit down." to which Steamboatin' replies, "Under the Americans with Disabilities act of 1970 you cannot discriminate against people with disabilities. I am a large man. My ass hurts. I paid my last blinds, therefore am entitled to this hand. Believe it or not, a court would stand behind me on this. Deal the cards."

I doubt a court would really stand behind some degenerate gambler but it would make for a funny story.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:31 PM

Fat people get no respect. It wouldn't bother me at all if I hadn't been doing it forever and yes, if the dealer sees me returning to the table they usuually deal me in.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer says, "Hi Steamboatin', I know I'm new and all but you cannot get cards unless you sit down." to which Steamboatin' replies, "Under the Americans with Disabilities act of 1970 you cannot discriminate against people with disabilities. I am a large man. My ass hurts. I paid my last blinds, therefore am entitled to this hand. Believe it or not, a court would stand behind me on this. Deal the cards."

[/ QUOTE ]

This will only work if you are wearing The Shirt. The Shirt bamboozles dealers and makes them do your bidding.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: You can\'t Hijack this thread

[ QUOTE ]
hat is complete BS. The last time I was at Caesar's, I was seated next to the big 1/2 O, 1/2 HE PL game and one of the regs played for at least 1/2 hour standing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

When does this game run and what are the blinds/buyin, please?
Old 07-09-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer says, "Hi Steamboatin', I know I'm new and all but you cannot get cards unless you sit down." to which Steamboatin' replies, "FEAR MY LATIN KINGS SHIRT, YO!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed my post. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, steamboatin', I suppose some of the dealers aren't going to bitch much so you just have to figure out which ones are going to be cool about it and don't mess with the other ones.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the rule not allowing standing. If I take a 2nd look at my hole cards I don't want a guy possibly looking down at my cards from above and/or behind me. I also want to see a guy's face during play. I don't want to be limited to his 2 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you write, but to my thinking the best reason for enforcing this rule is that it speeds up play.

I might add that I have no objection to Steamboatin getting a hand if he is standing next to his seat, obviously ready to play, and is seated at the time the deal is complete. But if players are talking to railbirds or wandering farther and farther afield, I'd just as soon they be dealt out no matter how indignant they become. If the Floor has to adopt a stricter interpretation of the rules to make this stick, then so be it.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:48 AM

Will they allow you to bring in an ergonomic chair?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:05 AM

The Dude plays while standing up. Every couple of hours, he'll take a short break and sit down for five minutes.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 AM

I've never seem this happem really...but I'll be honest, if someone was standing up while playing at my table it would be kind of annoying to me...especially if they were right next to me. That's what I think anyway....perhaps I would have a different opinion if it ever happened on one of my tables.

I agree that selective enforcement by different dealers is pretty hypocritical and that the rules should apply to all the same.
But I don't see anything stopping you from sitting out for an orbit and taking a walk around to stretch your legs.
If it hurts enough to sit there after awhile (I understand this) there's no reason why you HAVE to continue playing every single hand. You ARE actually allowed to miss a few.

On the PPM cruise I stood up behind the table and stretch my legs after folding...and then sat back down when the next hand was being dealt.
Denmark guy with no live experience thought it was a groovy idea but wasn't aware he needed to sit back down. Dealer told him he would be folded if he didn't sit down at the start of the deal.