Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: BoxTree

[ QUOTE ]
The point of moderating this forum is to make it a better place, not for you to exert your power of banning people at your discretion w/o just cause (no, circumventing the profanity filter is not just cause for a permanent banning).

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta say I agree with this. I think this whole decision to allow random bannings in OOT is weird, but I didn't question it. But the fact is, with so many mods around, most people if they get banned are going to contact the mod they feel like they know.

In this case, Evan made a post in the mod forum, asking what happened. Yet he gets only a vague response about the profanity filter, and then an even murkier response that [censored] says he's "thinking about" the ban.

I thought the point of the mod forum was to discuss bannings and the like. If other mods can't give a legitimate reason for why they banned a solid contributor to the site, then I think you can't be surprised that someone is going to want to reinstate the person.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM

I agree with nolanfan here very much. The banning seems a little out of hand.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point of moderating this forum is to make it a better place, not for you to exert your power of banning people at your discretion w/o just cause (no, circumventing the profanity filter is not just cause for a permanent banning).

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta say I agree with this. I think this whole decision to allow random bannings in OOT is weird, but I didn't question it. But the fact is, with so many mods around, most people if they get banned are going to contact the mod they feel like they know.

In this case, Evan made a post in the mod forum, asking what happened. Yet he gets only a vague response about the profanity filter, and then an even murkier response that [censored] says he's "thinking about" the ban.

I thought the point of the mod forum was to discuss bannings and the like. If other mods can't give a legitimate reason for why they banned a solid contributor to the site, then I think you can't be surprised that someone is going to want to reinstate the person.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is murky about the bypassing the profanity filter?

and what is murky about waiting till I think about it fully to decide a time period? The banning happened less than 24 hours ago, its not like he has been sitting on the sideling for a week.

I don't think i'm under any requirement to discuss my decisions with any of you. Mat is the ultimate authority here and he has made that clear so I would expect that if he disagrees with my action he will either reverse, ask for clariication, or ask me to reconsider.

Once I informed Evan that I was the one doing the banning he should have referred the poster to me, to Mat or both.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Yes, Evan should have done the that. But you also should have been more forthcoming, first with BoxTree, about why he was banned, and then Evan when he posted about it here.

Just curious, what else was BoxTree banned for? You said the profanity filter "for starters."
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with nolanfan here very much. The banning seems a little out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of what [censored] is doing is out of hand. But, that's what Mat wants (though, I can't understand why).

The point here is that Evan is abusing his power as much as he is accusing [censored] of doing. The proper way to handle this situation is for the banned poster to deal with [censored] or Mat (if he doesn't know which mod banned him).

Evan shouldn't have gotten involved. Once he learned [censored] was the banning mod, he should have reffered the banned poster to him.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 PM

I agree with some of what you said. I think both Evan and censored are a little out of hand here. But I'm not sure I agree with "EVan shouldn't have gotten involved." He shouldn't have unbanned BoxTree, but he definitely was right to post about it here.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm not sure I agree with "EVan shouldn't have gotten involved." He shouldn't have unbanned BoxTree, but he definitely was right to post about it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "not involved", I meant "shouldn't have unbanned". There's obviously nothing wrong with posting about it here, especially since he was contacted by the banned poster. But, that's as far as it should have gone.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 PM

I also think if we're gonna have rampant insta-banning b/c that is what Mat says he wants (although I have to think we're misinterpreting this to some degree) the bannee should be told upfront, why, and for how long.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Evan should have done the that. But you also should have been more forthcoming, first with BoxTree, about why he was banned, and then Evan when he posted about it here.

Just curious, what else was BoxTree banned for? You said the profanity filter "for starters."

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting an incredibly stupid and pointless thread. I know you guys don't like this but I've been completely forth coming with what I am doing and have been from the beginning.

However please take note that the I didnt do anything when the thread was made because I recognized that he contributed elsewhere and it wasn't a standard occurence, even though I personally wanted to. But when he then intentionally bypassed the filter I had no problems banning him.

I responded to Evan's thread honestly but I didn't feel the need to explain myself to him at all beyond that I got the message and was considering what to do next. I still don't as its clear the only reason he cares is because this is someone he has comminicated with outside of 2+2, otherwise there would be no need to act so quickly in overturning my decision.

There was a similar instance where a poster was banned and didn't agree with the decision. He contacted Mat who referred him to me. The user sent me PM, explaining the situation. He was promptly unbanned by me. This occured over two days.

As for this situation, what's done is done.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:04 AM

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.