Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: should wins be relevant in Cy Young?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know what's funny. I was thinking the EXACT opposite of you, but your detailed analysis swayed me. I agree. Wins shouldn't be relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir.

To the OP: nice argument. Especially when Cy Young holds the MLB record (and quite possibly, the record less likely to be EVER broken in any sport) of 500+ wins. And this will be even more relevant when Carpenter beats Clemens tomorrow for the NL Cy Young.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure that Clemons finishes in the top 2. If I were voting, Clemons would be 3rd on my ballot behind Carpenter and Willis. And I think you could argue that Willis deserves it.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 AM

I dunno. Cy Young had the most wins; Walter Johnson is second; then come Grover Cleveland Alexander, Christy Mathewson, and Warren Spahn.

Active pitchers: Clemens has the most, Greg Maddux is second, then comes Randy Johnson.

I'll take any of those guys. Great pitchers win a lot of games.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Of course they should be relevant. They are not the primary statistic that should be examined, or even close to the top, but they certainly should be part of the picture.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno. Cy Young had the most wins; Walter Johnson is second; then come Grover Cleveland Alexander, Christy Mathewson, and Warren Spahn.

Active pitchers: Clemens has the most, Greg Maddux is second, then comes Randy Johnson.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but that doesn't mean in a single season, a person with alot of wins is a great pitcher.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Great Pitchers also pitch a lot of innings, and great Pitchers also pitch low ERA's, K/BB's, and WHIP's.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM

I agree. The question, though, was whether wins are relevant or not.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:41 PM

Usually a lot of wins is a sign of a very good pitcher. I'm not saying that wins are the most important stat, nor that Colon deserved the award, just that wins should be considered as part of the mix.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually a lot of wins is a sign of a very good pitcher. I'm not saying that wins are the most important stat, nor that Colon deserved the award, just that wins should be considered as part of the mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in the long run, things don't even out. Bert Blyleven continues to get the shaft because he racked up over 150 NDs and 250 losses playing for teams with no offenses.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Still, he won 287. My guess is he gets the shaft because he never won more than 20 games, he won 20 just once, he played for non-marquee teams, and he wasn't a post-season star. See Catfish Hunter for the counter-example.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, he won 287. My guess is he gets the shaft because he never won more than 20 games, he won 20 just once, he played for non-marquee teams, and he wasn't a post-season star. See Catfish Hunter for the counter-example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that's part of it, but if he'd won 13 more games in his nearly 20-year career, he'd be in the hall by now. It's ridiculous.