Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   should wins be relevant in Cy Young? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374366)

chessforlife 11-08-2005 03:40 PM

should wins be relevant in Cy Young?

i really dont think wins should be relevant in the cy youung.

as a matter of fact, can someone make this into a poll? (my mac is not able to poll for some reason.)

kyro 11-08-2005 04:03 PM

Re: should wins be relevant in Cy Young?

You know what's funny. I was thinking the EXACT opposite of you, but your detailed analysis swayed me. I agree. Wins shouldn't be relevant.

Hornacek 11-08-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know what's funny. I was thinking the EXACT opposite of you, but your detailed analysis swayed me. I agree. Wins shouldn't be relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir.

To the OP: nice argument. Especially when Cy Young holds the MLB record (and quite possibly, the record less likely to be EVER broken in any sport) of 500+ wins. And this will be even more relevant when Carpenter beats Clemens tomorrow for the NL Cy Young.

Paluka 11-08-2005 04:11 PM

I think wins should be a factor. If I'm really not sure who pitched better this year, I'll give it to the guy with more wins. This year, I did not think it was close. Johan Santana just pitched better.

imported_The Vibesman 11-08-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially when Cy Young holds the MLB record (and quite possibly, the record less likely to be EVER broken in any sport) of 500+ wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Young also holds the MLB record for most losses as well. Should a high loss count also be a requirement for the Cy Young award winner? *edit - haha jesusarenque, beat ya to it.*

I agree with Paluka, they're not totally irrelevant, but they are near the bottom of the list in terms of importance. Wins can so much be a function of other things. Santana was obviously the better pitcher this year, and it wasn't close.

That said, the voters have a history of ignorance when it comes to this award, this year only adds to that.

jesusarenque 11-08-2005 04:15 PM

I think the pitcher with the most losses each year should win the Cy Young award. After all, Cy Young has the most losses ever.

Hornacek 11-08-2005 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pitcher with the most losses each year should win the Cy Young award. After all, Cy Young has the most losses ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly another unbreakable record, unless its Lima Time! for another 10 years or so?

Jorge10 11-08-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly another unbreakable record, unless its Lima Time! for another 10 years or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

NH!

RacersEdge 11-08-2005 05:27 PM

Wins are probably the worst stat there is in baseball for judging a player. Wins are affected by the pitcher's offense and his bullpen - 2 things he can't control.

FoxwoodsFiend 11-08-2005 07:39 PM

Of course wins are irrelevant-there are many stats that give a far better sense for how a pitcher pitched: K/BB ratio, DIPS, WHIP, ERA, etc.
Chan Ho Park was at one point 6-1 with a 5+ ERA. Kevin Brown a few years ago for the Dodgers went barely .500 with an ERA of a little over 2. Clearly you can pitch terribly and get wins and pitch well and get losses and there's a risk that the discrepancy will be huge so I just don't think wins matter.