Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: El Diablo?

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Diablo. A mom joke. A mom joke. That's sooooo White Men Can't Jump.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comeback might have been funny had you responded to the initial mom joke with it. Resorting to it after a handful of failed comebacks is as weak as, well, I can't really say since I can't think of anything quite that weak.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 PM

Game. Set. Match.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Why neg ev

BTW, putting in fake characters so you can type swear words spelled correctly is pretty lame.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:35 PM

In two weeks I'm going to write a jerkstore post that will rule.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: 8-handed online 20/40: shaky protection

I would have folded preflop. The limp is fine, but the hand and position aren't good enough to call two more bets cold.

As for the flop, good luck!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: 8-handed online 20/40: shaky plus protection

I know there was a whole big thing going on with amulet over something silly when I posed this request but I'm wondering if you have changed your mind about showing us the analysis that you discussed? Maybe I was ignored, so I'll bump this one time as I am sure I am not hte only one who would benefit from knowing HOW to do the type of analysis that you discuss.

I also would still love an answer to this side question:
[ QUOTE ]
Also, as a side note, what does this sentence mean? What is a weighted EV calc and how do you incorporate it into your game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 8-handed online 20/40: shaky plus protection

I'd like this answer too, but I think a pm to Got, and then a posted reply would be a better way for us to get it, as this thread is a shitshow.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:07 PM

I think you're forgetting one thing in your ragfest against A8--being suited matters. In loose or even neutral games--being suited matters a lot. Finally, aggression or domination doesn't neutralize being suited.

Being suited is not enough to take a horrible hand and turn it into a +EV hand. But it can take a slightly -EV hand and turn it into a slightly +EV hand. The trick is you have to pick your spots. I think you're being slightly too selective. In general, A8s is safe in middle or late position, and if 3+ limp in, you can even raise with this (often folding hands like ATo, which is a win). You have to be careful with raising though--not doing it when people are prone to limping in with monsters.

Still, I think your general reasons as to why A8 (rankwise) is trash are sound. It's just that you don't give enough value to suited aces. Remember--increasing a hand's winning percentage by 6 points is really a 20-25% increase. That's a huge difference!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evsta...php?players=10

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm embarrased to say I have never seen this before. Thanks astro, this makes skimming this whole thread worthwile. Also, I like the hand. The added treat is if you catch you get to hear a lot of pissing and moaning about "how could you possibly blah blah blah."
Old 01-18-2005, 06:15 PM

All the mathematical analysis of whether these +EV raises is based on the fact that he indeed get people to fold their hands. This is not always the case. How does the math change if we say someone will only fold AK/AQ 80% of the time? 60%? If these people don't fold you are jamming the flop in a situation where you are essentially crushed. This must be a part of the analysis and could indeed make this play prove to be -EV.