Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Where Do You Fit In Religion Wise?

No bad people ever did anything bad, it is must be God's fault. God didn't give me what I wanted so he can't be there.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Can't believe im doing this...

[ QUOTE ]
Perspective? This is people's LIVES we are talking about. This is a major contradiction. Are you comfortable with the idea that your life is INSIGNIFICANT to God? How can one simultaneously love someone and think his life is insignificant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Treat the human race as a whole, as a person, losing a couple lives can be compared to a scraped knee for the human race. The human race still goes on, even regenerates, after losing some lives. Remember, the vitality rate is higher than the mortality rate. I see his point. I saw it coming before i even clicked on to see his response. It's standard rhetoric.

But then again, it can be turned around to looking at what's 'causing' the scraped knee and which side you fall on in that regard. To which the whole process starts up again, basically rendering this example meaningless since one can say if people just learn to accept there is a god, it wouldn't happen. Same validity is given to the opposite statement also.

Maybe, if their is a god, he put the prospect of religion in as a form of population control. How many people would likely be here if no one was killed for religious reasons? Which may be interpreted in the 'big' perspective as religion being a mental disease for the human race as a whole.

b
Old 08-27-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Christians typically respond with: "You can't understand God."

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, that if God does exist then by definition this is true. So your argument demonstrates nothing.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:58 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

If god'd gets all the credit for all that's good in life, he gets all the credit for the bad too. Equal time.

When kurt warner yells, 'thank you jesus!' at the superbowl, it means the same thing as if a mass killer yells the same thing at his execution doesn't it?

b
Old 08-27-2004, 03:14 PM

My argument demonstrates the villainy of an all powerful God with hidden reasons for allowing horrible atrocities to occur which he could easily prevent.

I agree, if there is a God we must not understand him.
I am just illustrating how evil this all powerful God must be.

If I allow a child to drown in a pool and then give the excuse, I have complex reasons you simpletons cannot comprehend, I dont think it would fly.

What makes God above basic morality?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:18 PM

When a rockslide buries a village it IS Gods fault.
He could have prevented it without any effort.

Same deal with a girl getting her arms chopped off. She was so greedy to want to keep her arms. I am glad God could step in and do the right thing by not stopping some bad man from taking her arms. I am sure the world will be a better place now that this girl had her arms chopped off with a machete.

You are very good at missing points.
My point is that if there is an all powerful God he is evil.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that I will most likely be unsuccessful in changing your mind. I garuan- double damned- tee you that you will not change mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't completely shut my mind, though. As I said, I'm on the fence. I'm leaning towards the side of logic and reason. Nobody, whether it's a friend, family member, religious figure, teacher, random guy on an Internet forum, etc.... has ever presented me with an argument that isn't full of holes.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we should agree to disagree and get back to poker discussions which this forum is all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't object to this, as with religion and politics there are typically two kinds of people - the choir and the wall. You're either preaching to the choir or talking to the wall. Very few sponges still exist that try to soak up everything and squeeze out the garbage.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Treat the human race as a whole, as a person, losing a couple lives can be compared to a scraped knee for the human race. The human race still goes on, even regenerates, after losing some lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

The necessity to see the human race as a whole as opposed to a group of individuals isn't consistent with the ability of an all-knowing, all-loving God. His mind isn't so puny as to have to think of a group of 6 billion as opposed to 6 billion individuals.

My point is that, from a matter of perspective, God who knows EVERYTHING and loves EVERYBODY (supposedly) should have cared more and done more for those who have been butchered in his name.

Is it really that difficult for an all-powerful being to say "Hi everybody! I exist! Stop killing each other in my name."

But regardless, we'll play the perspective game.

AS A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE, if God does exist, is humanity AS A WHOLE better off knowing He exists or not knowing He exists? A lack of knowledge has historically proven to cause conflict, death, suffering, ignorance, blah blah blah blah blah. Surely we'd all be better of knowing "hey, God exists, stop screwing around."

So what's the difficultly?

What's the difficulty for an all-powerful being who WANTS people to believe in Him presenting us with even the slightest, almost insignificant shred of evidence that He MIGHT exist?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, if their is a god, he put the prospect of religion in as a form of population control. How many people would likely be here if no one was killed for religious reasons? Which may be interpreted in the 'big' perspective as religion being a mental disease for the human race as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were a God who loved my creations, I wouldn't put them in an environment where they had to kill each other as a form of population control. That's just stupid.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My argument demonstrates the absurdity of an all powerful God with secret reasons for allowing horrible atrocities occur which he could easily prevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, people don't claim that God's reasons are "secret", just that we as humans do not have the capacity to understand them. It would be like a dog trying to understand calculus. This example is rather crude but that's because there is no example that a human can give which is even close to analogous due to the nature of the idea that is being represented.

[ QUOTE ]
I am just illustrating how evil this all powerful God must be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not, because God is, by definition, the moral arbiter, not you. God's omniscience allows him to be the only fair judge even if you misinterpret one of God's actions as evil due to your limited human intelligence causing you to bluster about making wild claims about beings which you cannot possibly understand.

[ QUOTE ]
If I allow a child to drown in a pool and then give the excuse, I have complex reasons you simpletons cannot comprehend, I dont think it would fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it wouldn't fly, because you are not God. This is what it seems you are not taking into consideration, that God is, once again by definition, above all humans and legitimitely does have reasons which you cannot understand.

[ QUOTE ]

What makes God above basic morality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, being God, he's above everything. But anyway, the point is that it is not for you to define what is and is not moral, that is God's preogative.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I were a God who loved my creations, I wouldn't put them in an environment where they had to kill each other as a form of population control. That's just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my posts to SnakeRat. Just because you cannot understand the nature of God does not mean that he is stupid, or does not exist. In fact, God can't be stupid or he wouldn't be God.