Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Party 15-30 KQh

I would definitely raise preflop.

On the flop, there's an argument to be made for capping it once it's already been 3-bet, but you can go either way on that one.

On the turn, I can find very few reasons not to 3-bet. The people advocating a call in order to induce the CO and the button to call aren't taking into account the fact that the CO and button will fold regardless. It's 2 bets to them, 2 people already called it cold, so the CO and button need very strong hands to call. And if they have those kind of strong hands, maybe they'll call 3 bets too. In addition to that, there may be a smaller flush out there that will 4-bet, there may be a set out there that you need to charge, etc. I would 3-bet the turn without hesitation and I'm very surprised that the BB didn't cap.

The river is obvious.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:09 AM

man you frickin owned me.

Good post.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:47 AM

Preflop: Freaking raise.

Flop: Good, and I don't like the idea of a cap.

Turn: Cold-calling the turn here would be bad. A bet, a raise, AND A COLD-CALLER in front of you? No brainer 3-bet. If the action had gone bet, call, call, raise I could agree with a cold-call to trap, but here you're just going to be leaving a ton of money on the table by not 3-betting. The 2 players behind you would have to call 2 cold anyway facing heavy action on the flop and turn, meaning they aren't calling without very strong hands/draws, which they will probably call 3 with anyway, and potentially knocking out the bettor is by way compensated for by the 2 players you're for sure getting more bets from.

River: Obviously.

GoT
Old 09-10-2004, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll sometimes raise KQs from MP in this game, but like to have a little better feel for the table first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't really think of a reason not to raise this hand PF from any position in any game (full or shorthanded) if there is no raise in front of me. Maybe from the SB or against a very tough/tricky player who will only limp up front if planning to limp reraise.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Good, and I don't like the idea of a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
How come? The 3 players before hero will call one more bet for sure, won't they? So unless there's an A-high flush draw out there, that's profit for hero? Add the two players behind hero that already have paid two bets. Aren't at least one of them likely to call another two, making it even more profitable for hero?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:11 AM

I am young
and I am free
but I get tired and I get weak
I get lost and I can't sleep
but suddenly, suddenly
Old 09-11-2004, 02:24 PM

probably because it will kill your turn action if you hit it?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no raise preflop?

Other than that I think you played it well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is not raising so bad here? I agree raising is good, but KQs is likely to be even money or so vs. a typical UTG limp. Why not limp and encourage a big multiway pot? KQs equity is relatively higher in a big pot than it is head to head, isn't it?

Raising or calling seems right depending on conditions, but i don't think its very clear cut.

thoughts?

--Greg
Old 09-11-2004, 04:56 PM

Now that makes sense. I suck at planning ahead, among other things.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:38 PM

My thoughts. I agree with raising pre-flop unless you are absolutely sure that the UTG limper is a tough and sometimes tricky player. Otherwise raise.

Flop... I wouldn't cap here, I think you risk losing some BB's if indeed you do hit your flush. I wasn't at the table but it seems like a table of callers. Sometimes that extra raise on the flop may induce checks on the turn from less aggressive players. I also think you were fortunate to get 3 bets in on the turn. This very well might not have happened if you cap.

Turn, some things to think about... Will the players behind you call 2 cold? Because the players in front will almost always call if you 3-bet.

What is your river plan? The pot is big already, and my experience in PP 15/30 is that Ah isn't folding. If you can anticipate at least one cold caller for 2 bets on the turn, and it is likely that the small blind or UTG will bet the river if no heart falls or the board doesn't pair then calling may be the best option. Then you can get two bets in one the river unless a scare card falls.

You got three bets in on the turn and one on the river, so I think you did fine for maximizing the # of bets out of this pot.

Any thoughts on capping the flop on draws in multi-way pots? I think your hand is disguised right now and has the potential to win many more big bets if you hit. Does capping alert the table and risk future bets? I'm curious what everyone thinks. Also, you didn't describe this table as particularly aggressive. 3-4 players for 2 bets.