Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2004, 02:33 PM

Default I\'m mad (and a suggestion to poker sites)

This morning in empire's 2am 10+1 $5000 guaranteed trny, there were 301 entrants and we were down to the last 50ish, with winner getting about $1200 and top 10 getting a few hundred each. with 50 people left i was in 4th chip position and the chip leader of the tournament was sitting to my right.

i get AQs and the action is on the chip leader on my right. i was going to check the "bet pot" or whatever that option is, and try to pick up the blinds (both blinds were short/mid stacks). but right when i went to check the box, the leader to my right made a big raise, and instead of checking the bet pot box, i accidently clicked the raise box which put me all in. everyone folded around to the chip leader who called me with pocket kings and ended up taking me out on that hand.
i knew that the leader was a tight player who did not normally try to steal and i had only seen him raise with monsters, so if i had seen him raise i would have gladly thrown away my AQ.

if anyone from any online poker sites is reading this, could you maybe think about moving the pre-action boxes to a different spot than where the normal boxes are when the action is on you?
Old 09-11-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: I\'m mad (and a suggestion to poker sites)

I've had similar happen to me. And your point is valid about switching the areas of the buttons around.
However, I think bet-pot would have just called his all-in bet anyway.

In the very least, if your stack was big enough to cover the pot you would have been betting more than you intended after a big pot.

I really don't know why party makes the bet-pot button a check-box pre-action. Because you would be checking it without knowing what the amount of the pot is when it gets to you.

If player A bets 1000 and player B raises to 10k and player C raises to 40k do you really want to have Bet-Pot checked ahead of time?

On UB it makes more sense....bet-pot is a regular button that you can click WHEN the action is on you (so you actually know how much the amount of the bet is).

Anyway, I never use the bet-pot check-box option on party/empire.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:54 PM

if you had successfull placed the bet pot box instead of raise you still would not have time to fold
Old 09-11-2004, 06:54 PM

Actually, I think if you press the "bet pot" box, it only bets the pot if people call. If there is a raise, I believe the box changes and you do not actually bet the new pot size. In the NL cash games you can press this "bet pot" and it only does so if there are no raises.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I think if you press the "bet pot" box, it only bets the pot if people call. If there is a raise, I believe the box changes and you do not actually bet the new pot size. In the NL cash games you can press this "bet pot" and it only does so if there are no raises.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok thanks. the only check box i use is fold or check/fold so i always assumed it did it automatically. i dont check the raise any button because(and dont laugh at me for this) because i feel like it scares people off when you auto raise instead of raising manually. im usually a bit more leary if someone auto raises me. i have no proof whatsoever of this.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im usually a bit more leary if someone auto raises me.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.
lot of AA and KK are behind those ultra-quick PF raises. especially so at lower-stakes NL.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:34 PM

Deleted, TMI
Old 09-12-2004, 04:45 PM

Don't use the checkboxes.

Especially in a tournament.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:58 PM

I only use checkboxes for pre-flop play now. I had an incidence with a large pot recently when I flopped the nut flush on the turn, but while clicking back from my other table (I was 2-tabling) I clicked on the part of the window with the check boxes, and offcourse it was the fold button. I should stop being cheap and buy a 16x12 monitor. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 07:48 PM

With the execption of Check/Fold, Fold, Call Any, and Raise Any, any other check box will disengage if something happens to change the hand (aka someone raises)