Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 11:32 PM

Default 3-Bet AQo, ragged flop, K on the turn

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

I don't know much about UTG+1, but CO is seeing most of the flops.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Both 3-betting preflop and betting the flop makes perfect sense to me, but I thought I'd run it by everyone else just in case. The flop probably missed everyone and there's a reasonable chance I'm ahead right in the 3-way pot.

I don't know what the right turn play is at this point. I don't like that CO called 3 cold preflop (even though he is loose) and that he is hanging around after the flop bet. This makes me think he has some sort of pocket pair or big cards (or maybe his rags hit), which means I'm probably behind. As for the UTG+1, I don't know what to think of him, either. My big fear is being check-raised by UTG+1 if the king hit him (though I don't know if he would, since I don't know much about him). In any case, I still think checking is the best option at this point, even with the second nut flush draw.

On the river, I was trying to get a check-raise in on the CO. I hardly ever go for check-raises on the river, so I've been looking for places that I can start squeezing it in. I think this is one of those cases. Am I wrong?

Thanks much for any advice that comes my way.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: 3-Bet AQo, ragged flop, K on the turn

This is probably not the right time for a checkraise. Regardless of what CO was betting with on the turn, either a pair of kings on the turn or a made flush, he'd be scared by the 4th spade on the river. There's too much of a chance that he'll take the free showdown to not lead the river.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:54 PM

The spade is a scare card for anyone who doesn't have the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You need to bet it, because you'll get a crying call.

Rob
Old 09-11-2004, 12:23 AM

Hey Aaron,
Unless you have a read that UTG+1 is raising light, you should fold this pf. You are most likely dominated and/or way behind. If your hand were suited, then you could make a case for cc 2 here or raising. As to your play in the hand, you need to bet the river.

-Jaran
Old 09-11-2004, 02:08 AM

agreed if no reads fold this garbage