Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 09:04 PM

Default AK too weak on the turn?

Hi, I just played this hand a little while ago in the 5/10 6-max on party. The main opponent in this hand seems to be a calling station, loose and passive, which is what slowed me down when he woke up raising on the flop. Should I bet this turn regardless? If raised, do I call down unimproved? Looking for opinions, thanks.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 09-09-2004, 10:12 PM

Default Re: AK too weak on the turn?

Given your post title, I'm guessing that you checked and he checked. If he's loose and passive, I'm just check calling this one down. I can't see someone capping the flop as a calling station without beating you come the turn. Perhaps you need to change your read? Still, I check and call on the turn and river unless another club drops.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:27 AM

Diffcult [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. If he is genuinely LP then you are probably beat but it is hard to be sure about these reads till you have seen a lot of hands.

Unless you are waaaay off, he has not capped the flop for "a free card no matter what it costs" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] While it is true that a free card could cost you the pot, since you have an Ace, the more normal overcard worry is not there so it is only if he 2 pairs his Kx or hits his flush since he would not be capping (given your read on a pair of jacks; QJ say)

If he is on A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then even a loose passive might cap flop and now you are dead!

We have outs against 2 pair. I would check/call this down. At least this way you will see his hand and know a little more for the future.

The old adage "bet 'till raised" has been satisfied here - he did it TWICE on the flop so I am prepared to wuss out here (and swear later when it turns out I had the best hand at this point)

trevor
Old 09-10-2004, 05:52 AM

It is very hard to know for sure but I think I would have checkcalled it to showdown, or bet the turn he would probebly not raise you if he hasnīt set or a made flush or AK with A of clubs. The third club slow him down if he has no clubs in his hand. If he raise then fold, but sure it is hard.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 AM

It is very tempting to call down, but given your read and the board you seem safe folding to a raise (even a fairly aggressive player will not raise a hand that you have beat), hence I'd bet out, and bet the river too.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 AM

The other side of that coin is "what free card are you afraid of now"? The flush just came in. If he's so passive that a flop cap means he's got a hand that beats TPTK, then you need the free card. If he'll cap the flop with a flush draw, that's a change to your read. If you miss a turn bet here, its just the price you pay to get to showdown and refine your read.