Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Chip Leader on Bubble

This is something that has always plagued me. There's 5 or 4 people left in a PP SNG. I've become chip leader by playing conservatively during the first 3/4 levels. Then I start becoming more aggressive, stealing blinds and winning big pots. But this is my problem: when we're on the bubble with the blinds the way they are, should I try and push my stack around. I usually do this, but because ofthe crap blind system that Party has, one or two bad mistakes make you shortstacked. Do you recommend letting the other players taking themselves out or keep pushing hoping that you don't get pushed back? Not only is this a post asking this question, it also complains about the bad blind system Party Poker has.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Chip Leader on Bubble

If you are the chip leader you are not short stacked, usually. Thus, no need to push, in most cases. I find that minbetting or betting 3*BB takes the pot down with alarming frequency. If it's reraised and you fold, you are still in great shape.

I just finished a tourney where I started the bubble with 2800, minbetted whenever I was first in and played everything else tightly. The opponents were fairly evenly matched and went into complete hibernation waiting for someone else to bust. When someone finally did, I had 5200.

I don't think this works as well on higher limits, where I believe someone will make a stand earlier.