Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: straight vs. flush

No, a flush is better than a straight because the odds of getting a straight is higher. However, I believe the reason you see flushes more than you see straights is if you know that you have 4 cards to the flush with 2 cards coming, THEN the odds of hitting the flush are better than the straight. (9 / 47 off the flop versus 8 / 47 open ended, only 4 / 47 gutshot). The pot odds when holding a flush draw are better than when holding a straight draw, AND you can easily hold a pair or two overcards when you have a flush draw, and having a pair while you have a straigt draw can easily mean that your opponent probably has a straight draw too.

The bottom line is, off the flop people are more likely to chase a flush draw then a straight draw.

Think about it, after you've folded, how many times have you said "awww I would've made a straight" versus "I would've had a flush." On that same note, how many times have you seen the board make a straight versus a flush?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM

Is this for real?

Is a royal flush better than high card because somebody thought that'd be a good idea?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:29 AM

Good analysis Sponger.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 AM

Judging by his number of posts, i assumed nykenny was poking fun at the new players who ask this question every few months...