Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Lessons?

Have any of yall taken lessons from a teaching pro such as Ciaffone, Caro, West, Sklansky, etc? I'm re-reading IPM and Feeney recalls his early days and long distance consulting with David. He recommends it highly. I'm wondering what yall might have gotten out of it, what stage of development you were in(more or less), how effective it was, how many lessons you took, what it costs, and what sort of materials were used like texts, essays, or whatever. I noticed H.L.'s sister remarking (at WSOP) that she turned whatshisname (Aflack maybe?) into a world class pro. I can see the value of an expert teacher who knows your play firsthand, but I wonder how Feeney got value from over the phone lessons. I'm very interested to hear your experiences, and certainly those of a teaching pro as well.
Cheers
Old 09-08-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Lessons?

I have never taken private lessons, but I imagine that doing so with a qualified expert could help you tremendously.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:10 PM

I can also imagine it's quite expensive. AD remarked on the WSOP broadcast that she took (I think) $30k from Affleck the first night.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:53 PM

Very good Kayaker. Yep, she said 20k. I've had some small stakes lessons like that. Not quite what I meant though. Surely there are some here that have had private lessons, or have given them. No, kayaker, not heads up schooling.
Cheers
Old 09-08-2004, 03:49 PM

Bob Ciaffone's lessons are, I think, $100 for 4 hours...phone & emails. And you also get one of his books.

I've considered it, but have not taken them...but I assume they would be worth it.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob Ciaffone's lessons are, I think, $100 for 4 hours...phone & emails. And you also get one of his books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot believe its anywhere near that cheap (at least anymmore). There are people on this board that I would happily pay more than that to for lessons, and Ciaffone is worth many many times more.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:11 PM

Well, I won't guarantee the price, I did check into it several months ago. If memory serves, that was the deal...a quick internet search would confirm.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:16 PM

Here's the 1st paragraph from the email I received on 11/19/03.

[ QUOTE ]
POKER INSTRUCTION
from Bob Ciaffone

Thank you for your inquiry. My instruction is done over the telephone or by email, as in most cases the person I am helping is too far away for face-to-face contact. I offer four hours of instruction for $100 total. Personal check or PayPal is fine. Included is about 12 pages of written material and a copy of my newest book, "Middle Limit Holdem Poker." If you already have that book, I'll give you one of my other books or an extra hour of instruction instead. Instructions are given either by phone, email, or a combination of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2004, 05:27 PM

Tommy Angelo offers teaching in person--check out his web site.

regards.
carlo
Old 09-08-2004, 08:37 PM

Ciaffone is now $100 for 2 hours plus a book. Barry Tannenbaum is $100/hr. Both are worth much more...take advantage of it before they find out.

J