Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Bad Swing or Bad Play?

After browsing the forum for about an hour, I decided to sit down for a quick session at PP ($.50/$1). Little did I know that is would be the quickest session I've ever experienced. I came in with 15 BB as I only expected to play for an hour, but got wiped out in 17 hands. Here's some of the biggest losers. Any feedback on how I played or more importantly, how I should have played, is appreciated.

Hand 1

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Chump is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, Chump calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(Champ)</font> raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Chump calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Chump bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Champ raises</font>, MP3 folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Chump 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Champ caps</font>, Chump calls.

When he caps, I put him on AK. However, not having seen him play as this was my first rotation, I could not be sure.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Chump checks, <font color="CC3333">Champ bets</font>, Chump calls.

Again, because of his cap on the flop, I put him on a strong hand that may outkick me. Rather than lose another bet here, I check and will call on the river.

River: (10.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Chump checks, <font color="CC3333">Champ bets</font>, Chump calls.

As I suspect, he bets again and I call. I still feel like my read is correct.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Chump has Qc Ks (three of a kind, kings).
Champ has Kh Ad (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Champ wins 12.75 BB. </font>

Hand 2

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Chump is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="purple">(Champ)</font> calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Chump checks.

I feel that there are enough limpers to warrant a call here

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Chump calls, Champ calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flopped top pair, but the board looks like it may have straight possiblities and I don't want to give a free card. However, I'm a bit worried that my low kicker be a problem

Turn: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Chump bets</font>, Champ calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls.

No one shows any aggression, so I bet out again. Turn card may be a bit of a problem, but if I was concered with the high straight, then this shouldn't worry me enough to just check. Although now thinking about it, maybe a check would help give me a bit of info?

River: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Chump bets</font>, Champ calls, MP2 folds, SB folds.

If I get reraised here I pitch it, but it never came.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Chump has Jd 8d (one pair, jacks).
Champ has Kh Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Champ wins 12 BB. </font>

Hand 3

Preflop: Chump is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Chump raises</font>, Button <font color="purple">(Champ)</font> calls, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Chump calls, Button <font color="purple">(Champ)</font> calls, SB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Chump calls, Champ calls, SB calls.

Called with 2 overpair, hoping to pick up a hand on the turn.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Chump folds, Champ calls, SB folds.

Didn't improve so I can't call this bet and toss it away

River: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Champ folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Hand 4

Preflop: Chump is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Chump raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Chump caps</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Ok I'm bound for some luck, plus I've got the 2nd best starting hand. Time for a stick up to steal some of my coin back.

Flop: (13 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Chump bets $0.25 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Bet it all in hopes that everyone falls under my aggression.[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Needless to say it doesn't happen. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Turn: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls.

The one card I did not want to see hit the table.

River: (9.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

SB has Ts Ah (two pair, aces and nines).
Chump has Kd Kh (two pair, kings and nines).
MP2 has Ac Th (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: SB wins 5.62 BB. MP2 wins 5.62 BB. </font>

Ok folks, there it is. The 4 big hands that put me out. Any critiques are much appreciated!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Bad Swing or Bad Play?

Everything looks fine to me, except I think you should have capped PF on hand 3.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:44 PM

okay...hand 1....don't limp KQo. Many will disagree with me...but here is a classic reason why you don't limp KQo EP. Because you ARE DOMINATED.

Second hand...if you are worried, RAISE..... you have beautiful position to raise, and face the field with two cold, thus possibly isolating the SB and playing it HU from there.
Second thinking....15BB? It is "technically" possible to put 12 BB into one hand...while rare, I have certainly done that. And won. And lost to wierd, miracle quads.
many folks will recommend at least 25 BB.
I agree...though at Party .5/1, I'm guilty of buying in at 30BB frequently, just because I have lost 20-25 BB in winning sessions, and if your table is particularly Laggy, you need more money to survive the BS and emerge the winner.

Ehh...ignore my advice...I am far more drunken than I usually am. Suffice to say, even the hands you played well all illustrate the necessity of sufficient BR when playing LL HE.
Have a good one.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:54 PM

I definitely see the validity of your point about my buy-in. I rarely come into any game with less than 20bb and frequently sit down with more. However, due to the fact that I didn't plan to play for long - but expected more than 15 minutes, I came in a bit short stacked.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:55 PM

no comments on the play, but +/- 15bb doesn't really begin to qualify as a 'swing' in any number of hands.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 AM

Hand 2: I raise the flop. Good opportunity to knock out a couple players that might beat you on the turn or river AND it'll give you some info on SB's hand, especially if he bets into you on the turn.

Hand 3: If you're going to stick around, and depending on your read of MP3, I would consider raising the flop and taking the free turn card to see the river.

Also...it's REAL easy to burn through15 BBs, I usually sit down with 30-35 and rebuy if it gets below 10-12. If Hand 4 started to head in your direction on the turn or river, think how much you're losing by not being able to bet.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:09 AM

I don't have much to say except:

Hand 4: Don't play shortstacked.