Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: do i need tracking software to defend myself

OK I hear you. If you are not using any tracking software at all then you'll find you can "review" more per hour with something like pokertracker compared to manual notes. Together with the extra statistics one could argue you get more out of an hour studying. That is the most your opponents are getting.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:39 PM

ok. thx for all the help.

randy
Old 09-05-2004, 11:58 AM

Poker tracker is a tool. Much like any book you may read. I am assuming you have read poker books. Would you consider yourself a slave to them? Use the tool to make your game better. For some people it may make them a lot better and for some it may make them just a little better. Either way its +EV.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:14 PM

I have an idea, why don't you download the demo and see if it's something you might find useful. That's what I did, and I discovered that it was useful enough to purchase.

One thing poker tracker will do FOR SURE is let you know if you are a winning player. It will also let you know where your game needs improvement--sometimes these things are very hard to see without it. I discovered a lot about my game.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:35 AM

Default The value of the Spftware?

I thought a lot of the value of the software would be to look up opponents to see how much the raise, if they win/lose, see the flop etc.

I thought this would be at least 50% of the value.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not much for using the software, thats just not me. but with all this tracking software out there profiling me, do i need to use it just to defend myself?

or maybe i need to use it because its actually useful...

thoughts?

randy

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way you "defend" yourself with tracking software is by identifying leaks in your game then plugging them. I have found tracking software to be invaluable in analyzing my own play.

If you are a solid player, the only thing the tracking software in the hands of others will do is to make them less likely to join a game you are in. I play shorthanded primarily, and I don't like sitting down with another known TAG at the table unless there are a couple of known loose players. Even if I know what a generally good player's leaks are, I am still better off playing a poorer player.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: The value of the Software?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought a lot of the value of the software would be to look up opponents to see how much the raise, if they win/lose, see the flop etc.

I thought this would be at least 50% of the value.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, this is where the bulk of the value lies with PT. The 'Game Time' window effectively gives you the stats on everyone at your table. As an example, it makes a big difference to me if a raise or re-raise has come from a player with a 5% VPIP figure than from someone with 80% VPIP and raises 30% of these hands. Having this information available on screen is an incrediby powerful tool.

Sheriff
Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 PM

xrongor,
One feature of PT that you might not be aware of is the ability to replay your hands (like watching a video tape of yourself). After each session, I reply all the hands that I VP$IP. It's a quick and visual way to review your play. I then take a hand that I'm not sure about, and post it here. I think you can drastically increase your learning rate by playing, self-reviewing, and then getting input from others. It's working for me so far. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]