Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Party 15 Happenings

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. My friend does not multitable so he doesn't feel the need to avoid every moderate fluctuation risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear more about this. What does this mean?
Old 09-05-2004, 07:17 PM

I'm no Clark / Nate, but here is my take. Maybe a little more wordy for your reading pleasure.

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to him two off the button and he openraises w/ Q5s. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are too many players left to act to make a move with this hand. Especially with no reads on the remaining players. Many times you will probably be picked off as an over anxious blind steal. If that happens you will find yourself facing one or two more bets when it gets back around. Are you going to call if the betting is capped? Two bets down the drain!

[ QUOTE ]
Cutoff openraises (loose raising standards) and my friend defends his BB w/ Q9o and they go heads up. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on how well your friend plays after the flop. I'll call to defend, but won't get into a pissing match without a good flop or read on the raiser.

[ QUOTE ]
One EP limper and my friend limps in MP w/ JTo. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again. Too many players yet to act. I like playing JTo in late position with lots of limpers. I don't want to be second caller in and find myself raised with only three way action. Give me JTo on the button in a multi way pot. If the SB/BB raises its not all bad.

[ QUOTE ]
EMP openlimps, two seats later raises, next two coldcall, and my friend calls from the BB w/ Q6s. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good call. Five way action with suited cards for one more SB, Total pot 10SBs. If your friend plays half way decent after the flop this is a no brainer.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:20 PM

It's a gooood sign for my play when I come to the same conclusions as players like Nate and Clark!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Folded to him two off the button and he openraises w/ Q5s.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty light for a typical Party 15/30 game because steals almost never work.

[ QUOTE ]

Cutoff openraises (loose raising standards) and my friend defends his BB w/ Q9o and they go heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
After the $3 rake, he's getting 52:15 or almost 3.5:1 to call. It should be marginally profitable against a typical late position raise.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have folded. JTo is not a very good hand. I want to be in late position with it.

[ QUOTE ]

EMP openlimps, two seats later raises, next two coldcall, and my friend calls from the BB w/ Q6s. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy call with these pot odds.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2004, 07:57 PM

Nate's correct, Q9o is more than enough of a hand to defend from a CO raise. Suited Queen should always be folded when folded to in the CO, JTo is a terrible limp - and the suited queen plays fine against this many opponents as long as you can get away from top pair no kicker(though it sounds like your friend can't). Overall, your friend plays much too loosely - what's his VPIP?.
-James
Old 09-05-2004, 08:00 PM

I think the use of the word "remedial" here is great. These sorts of plays should be no brainers for someone playing 1 table, 4 tables, or 9. In fact I really don't think the discussion of any would yield very interesting debate.

WRT to the Q9o hand - you can make enough money off of people paying off with ace high when you hit 1 pair or people paying off with 22-88(which are definitely in most people's raising repetoire's) to make this fine. Being dominated isn't all too likely and I agree that this is definitely a valuable proposition - especially if you play well enough postflop to know when you're beat.
-James
Old 09-05-2004, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to him two off the button and he openraises w/ Q5s. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really didn't like this. Like someone said, too many players left to act and Q5s isn't much of a hand. I'd fold every time pretty much.

[ QUOTE ]
Cutoff openraises (loose raising standards) and my friend defends his BB w/ Q9o and they go heads up. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to fold here also, I think. I'd rather defend w/ 87s.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's way too loose. I only play JT in the cutoff or on the button.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I routinely fold a weak suited Queen in the BB for a raise but since so many advocate calling maybe I should change my mind.

My friend also limped w/ 97s in MP after one EP limper and I thought that was far too loose.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. My friend does not multitable so he doesn't feel the need to avoid every moderate fluctuation risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know what this means exactly. My friend just wanted it put in as some kind of disclaimer.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everything except the last hand are horrible. does he beat the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

He beats the game but not for as much as I think he can. And he often complains about his swings lol.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM

If it means that multitablers are supposed to fold profitable hands its really wrong.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:06 PM

"I'd like to fold here also, I think. I'd rather defend w/ 87s."

You'd be wrong. It's headsup, you want the biggest cards possible. Domination is essentially a non-factor here. I'd go so far as to say I'd *much* rather have Q9o than 78s against the described opponent in the described situation.