Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 01:43 AM

Default 25NL 6-max hand

I haven't posted many hands in the past, but I thought I'd get some opinions on this one. The game is Party's 25NL 6-max table. It's been a fairly normal game. I've been playing tighter than the rest of the table and capitalizing on my image by being aggressive. The times I've been called down, I was holding the winner. The villain just lost most of his stack to an all-in PF two hands before this one. He had reloaded to 25 right before this hand. Sorry for not using Bison's hand converter.

Blinds .25/.50
Button: BTN ( $41.75 )
SB: Hero ( $30.35 )
BB: BB ( $15.7 )
UTG: Villain ( $25.75 )
MP: MP ( $25.6 ) posted Dead Blind

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Kc Qc ]
Villain limps, MP checks, Button Raises to 1, all call

Flop [ 6c, 9c, Kh ] Pot: 5.00
Hero and BB check, Villain bets 5, fold, fold, Hero raises to 10, BB folds, Villain raises to 20, I push, Villain calls.
--I thought checkraising was best. I figured, based on the table and the flop, that someone would bet. Villains pot-sized bet without a bet PF told me no Ace, so Ax-clubs and AK were out. I raised villain to 1) push the BB out with my TP-flush draw, and 2) figure out where I stand against Villain. Villain's reraise was my problem. I put him on two-pair tops, but most likely Kx. As I said above, he took a tough loss two hands before and I'm thinking that he was on tilt. His chat comments led me to this conclusion.

Results (in white):
<font color="white">The turn brought a ten and the river brought a 4, both non-clubs. Villain flipped 87c for the turned straight and took the pot.</font>

Here's the questions that I have.
1) Should I have raised PF from the SB at a 6-max table?
2) Should I have bet-out the flop then reraised?
-I think I played the flop correctly, perhaps not raising enough.
3) Should I have pushed all-in or folded to the reraise?

I don't consider this a bad beat. I would just like to know if you all think I could have played it better. Go ahead and flame away...
Old 09-03-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: 25NL 6-max hand

1) I only raise if Button has a history of blind stealing
2) I would have bet the flop, but if you're sure your opponents will bet it for you then a CR is fine.
3) The first two questions are debatable. I don't think this one is. If villain has a set of 9s you're still have a 30% chance of taking the pot by the river if you push. That's 2.3-1. There is $40 in the pot + villain's additional $5 if you push and he calls so $45. It costs you $15 so 3-1. Easy push even if he flips over the set. Given the range of hands he could have its a no-brainer.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: 25NL 6-max hand

1) No
2) Bet out.
3) All-in.

One thing you need to keep in mind while you're in a hand is managing the pot-size. A check-raise leaves you in an awkward position unless you check/raise all-in. I don't like min-raising, so if you raise to 15, you're leaving yourself w/ $14, which is less than half the pot if someone calls. If you bet out $5 instead, you can either push the turn if you're called, or push a raise on the flop.

I think betting out here is the best play. GJ getting the $ in on the flop though.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses. This hand was the last hand of the night so I've have all day today to think about it. I agree with both suggestions. I don't feel too bad about the loss because I got my money in when i had the best of it. Then again, I know my game needs improvement. Thanks again for the advice...
Old 09-04-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Thanks

Keep in mind that we can't win every hand and if you lay down to someone who agressively bets draws your gonna get smoked. I probably would have bet out on that flop. I would raise pre flop sometimes if the table was tight or if I was playing momentum.