Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 02:59 PM

Default going for overcalls

Normally I just reraise but given that it might knock out the three guys behind me did I make the right moves on the flop and the turn? Or should i have slowplayed on the flop to then raise the turn?>

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, UTG+1 folds.

River: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 09-03-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: going for overcalls

I would raise the turn for sure.

Anyone with a straight or flush will gladly call 2 here, and if they miss their draws they'll just fold on the river, so you won't collect anything there.

(As an aside, I would also probably raise the flop. Even though the pot's not a monster and the bet came from your right, I think you'll make more money in the long run by raising. These guys will typically call 2 bets just as sure as they'll call 1.)
Old 09-03-2004, 04:22 PM

I'd just start betting and raising as much as I could..... You might knock out some goofball raggy straight, you'd kick yourself if you let an 8 see that turn/river so cheap.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:01 PM

I agree. If you let some dip cold call your raises and he catches up you can smile an know you did your best and that you'll get the money later. Beside there no guarantee the bettor doesn't have tptk or 2 pair or a stonrg enough hand to keep jamming and pay you off.
If you limp along and some weak draw gets the odds to catch up you feel like you slammed your fingure in the car door.

Just my take

Best of Luck