Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Should I have slowed down here?

My read on the villain here is very loose/passive. He hardly ever raises but won't really fold top pair. His $1 bets are very consistent with top pair or a draw. Should I have reraised all in at some point or was calling the right move?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

MP ($115.05)
Button ($44.95)
SB ($218.06)
BB ($50)
Hero ($107.93)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $1</font>, SB calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($7) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $1</font>, SB calls $1, Hero calls $1.

River: ($10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $14</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $46</font>, Hero calls $16.

Final Pot: $102
<font color="green">Main Pot: $102, between MP and Hero.</font>
Old 09-03-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Should I have slowed down here?

1st, I have to say that I dont have a lot of experience, so feel free to review my review if you want :

Well I don't play suited connectors UTG. I just play them in late position with a lot of callers (at least 2 limpers + bilnds). What do you do if somebody raise your 87 suited?

Lets say I played it. On the flop, I bet the pot, I don't want nobody drawing to that diamond flush on me. If everybody calls and the 7 come, I just bet half the pot probably and see how it goes or I check and hope somebody was finally drawing to the flush and will get it on the river. And the river well I just bet the amount I think he'll call.

I think you played the flop too passively. What do you do if a diamond hit the turn and somebody bets? (not the 7)
Old 09-03-2004, 05:56 AM

Put some more money on the flop, either by betting out or check raising. There are loads of cards that either kill your action or your hand that could fall on the turn.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:46 AM

Should I have slowed down here? Uhhh, hell no. You want to figure out how to get all your chips in the pot on this river.

This guy is screaming J9 on the river, you should take his stack. The only plausible hand to be worried about is TT, but a lot of guys raise this.

Anyway, checkraise the flop. Bottom two is much weaker/vulnerable than most people realize. A lot of cards can come that hurt bottom two, so try and get some money in while you are likely the favorite.

When the turn card hits, I usually think "Invincibility" and pray for diamonds. The guy going to war against you on the river should make you very happy. Don't back down.

If he has tens he has tens. If he has eights he has eights. But I'm going all the way with my boat cuz J9 is a more likely limp than TT and 88 isn't that likely.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:49 AM

This is No Limit Texas Hold'em. The Cadillac of poker. Drive with confidence.