Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Froggy\'s Daily Hand. #1: AK, weakly played.. Did I get bluffed?

preflop: fine

flop: well i raise to 18 but doesnt matter

turn: your screwed. if you are willing to check call 20 dollars, you better bet out 20 dollars. betting is much better than check/calling here. if you are ahead, you miss a value bet when he checks behind. its unlikely that he will bluff here after you raised the flop. plus when your bet is called, its a simple lay down on the river. when you check call, you have conflicting thoughts running through your mind, and will often incorrectly call the river. as it played out, i check/fold the turn. you are vs a flush or 2 pair alot more often than you vs a lower 1 pair. it may seem weak, but it will absolutly save you money in the long run in this game. plus, when you decide to check call the turn you better be comfortable with calling an all in on the river, which you arnt. in order from best worst, i check/fold the turn, bet out turn and check/fold river, then last check/call the turn.

river: as it played out, just fold. youd like to call becuase you check/called the turn, but your beat so just cut your losses. without a read, no way you call here. with a read, you still probably fold.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:39 PM

I think I found you on Party Froggy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2004, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I only called because I was out of position.. I hate it and don't want to play a big pot with my AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be very difficult not to play a big pot if you hit the flop. If you truly want to avoid a big pot with this hand due to being uncomfortable with the situation, it would be better to fold. You don't build hands in raised pots that you may have to come off. Here, you build a hand you are happy to back for all your chips should you hit your most likely hand.

Calling preflop is ok, just not for the reason you used. If you are not prepared to play for all your chips post flop, and you will be putting in a lot of chips only to be playing guessing games later on, then folding is preferable to calling. As would re-raising I think.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 AM

you don't find playing 8 tables incredibly difficult? it sure seems like it would be to me.

No, I like it. It helps me to play tight and not get tired so quickly.

You simply can't have a read playing 8 tables.

No, I got no reads on people.. Except the regulars and the people I have PT stats on.. It's a trade off.. My BigBlinds/100 hands are much lower than if I would only play one table. But instead my $ per hour is bigger.
And I play poker mostly for the money.

But my goal is to build my bankroll up to $10,000 and start playing bigger games on some other site.. Then is my idea that I will play 4-6 tables on autopilot on party and play one bigger game where I will focus my energy and start to play "real" poker. I’m a few thousands short but it goes steady up.. Until then I will grind it out on Party.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

in order from best worst, i check/fold the turn, bet out turn and check/fold river, then last check/call the turn.

I agree! Very nice sum up.

I think I found you on Party Froggy!

Opps.. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I hope you don't take my money.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Have you found out both my usernames? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Calling preflop is ok, just not for the reason you used. If you are not prepared to play for all your chips post flop, and you will be putting in a lot of chips only to be playing guessing games later on, then folding is preferable to calling. As would re-raising I think.

Ok.. Maybe I didn't express myself proper..
My reason not to raise in this hand has all to do with position!! I think that’s the most important thing in NL.
I don't think it's smart to build a very big pot with my lousy position and also when it's already lots off people in the pot.

I think that is a sure way off going broke.. If I would be behind the original raiser I would definitely raise!! You can count on it.. But not when there are several other people and I have to act first on every street. (Except the SB). Then I think it's better to call and see what the flop look like.