Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: 3rd street question - split queens

You call on 3rd street unless you never want to play any hands.

You raise on 4th street because even if you are behind a pair of aces this is +EV. You might win 20% of the pots multi-way but increase your win % to 40 with a raise and narrowing down the field.

I'm not sure I like the raise on 5th street (although this should knock a player or two out) because you are probably in 3rd place now.

By 6th street nobody is getting out, so your bet has -EV.

On 7th street you have too many players in there to think your queens up are good. I might bet them, not raise with them, and aces up are not folding at this point.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 09:10 PM

Default Re: 3rd street question - split queens

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely recommend 7CS4AP over Roy West.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.... Well, if I had gotten this message before hitting the bookstore tonight, that would be what I'd have. Oh well. Hopefully Roy will help me enough. If not, eBay, here I come!

I don't really consider myself and "Advanced Player" when it comes to Stud though. I've played home games and stuff and tend to play tight (so I think). Will the 2+2 book be okay for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not missing much if you don't get 7CSFAP right away. It's a fairly shallow but comprehensive guide to 7stud. You'll need to read and understand it. But Roy West's book is the better book for a newbie, as it helps you develop good practices. You also want to make sure you understand TOP, and have read the stud section in supersystem.