Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Does Phil Ivey have a gambling Problem?

Staged or not, it was hilarious. They finally had something halfway amusing on The Nuts.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:05 PM

whether or not it was staged really makes no difference. Fact is a lot of these guys do bet that much on stupid things like that. Howard Lederer- cheeseburger, Johney World- des moines(or whatever).$10K is only 5 big bets to somebody who plays $1K-2K. So its like $20 to all you $2-4 players. It makes perfect sense,"You dragged me out here to play for a measly $5K?".
Old 09-01-2004, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but one thing i have noticed about most successful compulsive gamblers, they only take bets in which the odds are in thier favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you haven't read "The Biggest Game In Town."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking... most of the name poker players at that time spent large amounts of their poker winnings on sports gambling, golf wagering, and prop betting.

Doyle Brunson claimed to have won more money each year (back in the early eighties) golfing than the top PGA pros, and felt confident he would beat any pro on the links (with handicap, of course). He was a good athlete, and could/can stand the pressure of high stakes gambling. But many poker players routinely gamble their hard-earned poker money on games where the odds are not in their favor.

At least that's what I got from reading The Biggest Game. Winning AND losing in gambling was their lifestyle--"the next best thing to winning a big hand is losing a big hand." I wonder if today's professional poker player is more business oriented, and is more inclined to avoid real gambling (odds not in their favor).

-Z
Old 09-01-2004, 07:08 PM

On ESPN didnt they metioned that Doyle was offered a contract to play in the NBA or NFL.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
On ESPN didnt they metioned that Doyle was offered a contract to play in the NBA or NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest post i've ever read. why would an NBA or NFL team want a fat old guy playing for them???
Old 09-01-2004, 07:18 PM

Maybe dumb, but true. The pictures in Super/System show that Doyle wasn't fat until after he broke his leg. Before then, he was in good shape.

"Brunson was born in Longworth, Texas on August 10, 1933. He was so gifted athletically in his early years, that he was drafted by the NBA's (then, Minneapolis) Lakers. A knee injury ended Brunson's dream of becoming a professional athlete, so he had to find a new way to satisfy his competitive instincts."
Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 PM

you were in the remedial classes in school weren't you
Old 09-01-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Turning stone..

Phil Ivey lost 250k playing props during the tournament so he had to get 1st just to break even. That was what he said during the pre-final table interview.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:09 PM

http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...es/?a_id=13374
Old 09-01-2004, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest post i've ever read. why would an NBA or NFL team want a fat old guy playing for them???

[/ QUOTE ]

Not recently damn, back when he was young look at the article and you'll see it is true