Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 11:22 AM

Default One more..

1 limper and I raise with AA. sb calls.

Flop comes AJ3r. Checked to me and I bet. sb and limper call.

Turn is a T. Checked to me and I bet. sb check/raises, limper folds and I 3-bet. sb calls.

River is a 6 and I get check/raised again! My buddy who was watching this hand, said there's no way my hand was good. I paid off anyway and beat out ATo.

My question is, what was my opponent thinking? Did he check/raise the river (after I made it 3 bets on the turn with a straight and a better two-pair on board), for value or as a bluff? I think it was for value, but not knowing for sure is what makes me such a poor online player.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: One more..

Most people think about their hand and if they they think about your hand, then they most likely put you on AK. Since he can beat AK, he is raising for value. I would prbably make it 3 bets on the river since he did not cap it on the turn. I would actually think his most likely hand would have been A6.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:38 AM

It was for value. Some players will think you have AK/AQ when you 3-beat and they want to make sure you don't "river" them with a higher two pair or broadway before putting in more bets.
I agree with Philuva that you have to 3-bet this river since the turn was not capped. If the turn was capped, I'd probably just call the river also depending on the opponents, I might raise and call a 3-bet.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:33 AM

Absolutely a value bet. He thought that he'd hit his kicker and that you'd just missed yours.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:48 AM

I guarantee your buddy normally plays lower limits than the one you were playing here. In a 1-2 game, if someone does this, they have you beat. In 15-30, you have them absolutely crushed.