Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 02:38 AM

Default Re: question on omaha hand

Gotcha, I'll remember that next time. Actually, the other reason I didn't bet was I was already low on chips and was simply going to check-call and make sure the flush didn't complete rather than try to build the pot to lose big at the end. i've generally seen people constantly chasing for flush draws on these games (Party $30) ...

Glad I did, since I ended up sneaking into the money with barely anything, and every chip would've helped ....
Old 09-01-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Re: question on omaha hand

[ QUOTE ]
I was already low on chips ..... I ended up sneaking into the money with barely anything, and every chip would've helped ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize, in my original replay that you were in a tournament rather than a ring game. Saving chips is an extremely important consideration in a tournament. However, at the point where you feel you're low on chips, stealing is usually more feasible than in a ring game.

[ QUOTE ]
...was simply going to check-call

[/ QUOTE ]

And since you have favorable odds to check-call, it’s hard to fault that line of play - especially in a tournament.

However, if you don’t bet here, and if nobody else bets either, you may not have favorable odds to see the river. Catch a non-pairing club on the turn, for example, and everyone may fold to a bet from the nut club flush. In that case, you’d only be getting 5 to 1 implied pot odds, in a situation where you’d need 6.33 to 1 implied pot odds to have favorable odds to continue.

Except for that, you do fine by always taking your chances on a draw - but you do better by sometimes stealing the six chips already in the pot than by always taking your chances on a draw.

However, if your opponents are such that stealing the pot after this flop is absolutely impossible, then I think playing your three pair as a pure drawing hand (check-calling, just as you planned to do) may be the best approach.

But in my mind it's a close decision. On balance, I'd still bet it rather than check-call - but I don't fault check-calling.

Folding seems too weak. You do have a trashy starting hand - but it fits well with the equally trashy flop - and you have favorable odds to continue to a bet (and although you don't have favorable odds to initiate a bet yourself, there are other considerations - like stealing the pot - that may be more important than having favorable drawing odds to initiate money into the pot).

Just my opinion.

Buzz