Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 11:15 AM

Default good tutorial for beginners? (cross-post w/ micro-limit)

a couple of friends of mine are looking to learn to play. is there a good website with basics for NL and/or limit? thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: good tutorial for beginners? (cross-post w/ micro-limit)

http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/index.htm

this site goes into the basic strategy, odds, etc. i found it to be pretty informative when i was first starting out.

a good general info site.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Books and 2+2

If limit: Theory of poker, WLLHE, SSHE, HEFAP
If NL: Theory of poker, getting live NL experience at micro limits, Reubens + Ciaffone.

Get em on 2+2 as well.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 AM

http://www.lowlimitholdem.com/ has pointers that work well for a $2/$4 or $3/$6 B&M game, or any of the smaller limit games online.

For most beginners, the biggest leak is pre-flop. The average player is going to lose a lot more to being too loose pre-flop than they will by calling a few too many bets post-flop. Stress the importance of position and teach them to vary their starting hands based on position. The website linked above is quite loose in its starting hand recommendations, but still a whole lot tighter than the average beginning player is.

The best post-flop play for the beginner is usually to be as straightforward as possible. Bet if you hit top pair, raise if you've got better than top pair, just call if you've got a decent draw, and always be aware of what the nuts are and where your hand ranks relative to that.

If you can get your friends that far, then my guess is that they'll be just fine. You'd be surprised how much help it is to memorize a simple chart of starting hands. If they're interested in becoming better players, then they'll put in the experience and study necessary for that. And if not, then being tight-passive won't make you a winning player, but it's often a whole heck of a lot better than being loose-passive or tight-aggressive.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Books and 2+2

[ QUOTE ]

Get em on 2+2 as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are, hopefully.

chris and eric, you better be reading this.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/index.htm

this site goes into the basic strategy, odds, etc. i found it to be pretty informative when i was first starting out.

a good general info site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was the first website I found and I learned a lot from it. I have not found many good sites on NL however. Could some experienced players please comment on how good these two are for someone who wants to try small stakes NL:

Poker Tips

No Limit Strategy