Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 AM

Default How should I play AA utg here?

In a stars 20+2 1-table s&g, 5 players left. I get AA utg. I have about 20xbb, 3rd stack. Two big stacks are about 2x mine. No stack in real trouble.
I raised 3xbb, my normal raise. Everyone folded. If I raised for less, it would be noticed by anyone paying attention to my betting. Should I have limped at this stage?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: How should I play AA utg here?

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone folded. If I raised for less, it would be noticed by anyone paying attention to my betting. Should I have limped at this stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you should not limp. But, you have to accept the fact that sometimes people will fold it around to you.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 PM

I don't see what else you could have done here that would have ended up better. Happlily take the blinds.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 PM

With the stacks the way you describe, you pretty much had to play it the way you did.

If you limp, or do a 2x raise, it is possible you get called by someone just looking to see a flop for the heck of it.

Then they flop 2 obscure pair you wouldn't realistically put them on, hit you with a big flop bet, and you have a very difficult decision to make.

Besides, if everyone folded that time, they will probably fold again if you make the same bet... so the rationalization you could make is the AA bet may well win you money outside of that one hand.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 PM

There's nothing better than 3x raise here...if someone holding smaller pocket (happens often on pstars)you can happily look at a large reraise...limping will just let the KQs see a flop to beat you with
Old 08-31-2004, 01:50 PM

I think you played it fine here. As you already said, if you just min raise you are giving away too much information ( if the players are observant ). I really don't like the limp, as you are giving the blinds a cheap look at a flop which could potentially cost you all your chips.

Just my opinion