Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Paradise Draw Poker: Basic Strategy?

Anyone play draw poker on Paradise? What is a good basic strategy for beating these games? I'm totally clueless when it comes to draw.

For those who don't know, the draw poker there is five handed and played with blinds. I have some bonuses to clear, and I thought I'd try a new poker variant.

Also, is the draw section of Super/System relevant for these games?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Paradise Draw Poker: Basic Strategy?

Forgot to mention: this game is played without a joker. Oh, and of course I expect to lose some while I'm learning. I'm hoping the bonus gives me a little cushion, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 04:30 PM

Hey sammy,

check the Michael wiesenberg archivs of card player. actually here it is
Old 08-30-2004, 04:34 PM

i believe the caro chapter is about jackpots - jacks or better, with antes and a buggy bug

if you find any literature about draw - anything to open, let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mike
Old 08-30-2004, 04:42 PM

Mason Malmuth has written a book for draw, but I have no idea if it is what you would be looking for.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone play draw poker on Paradise? What is a good basic strategy for beating these games? I'm totally clueless when it comes to draw.

For those who don't know, the draw poker there is five handed and played with blinds. I have some bonuses to clear, and I thought I'd try a new poker variant.

Also, is the draw section of Super/System relevant for these games?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, yes, Super System Draw section is still very good to read, especially for just starting out. Just remember that the majority (it seems) of the games that were playing at the time of the writing were with the "bug" (joker) and therefore Caro "assumes" a 53 card deck. There is a smaller section on the 52 card deck, but still most of the same stradegies apply; just make sure to book mark the odds tables at the back of the book for the proper odds for drawing given the 52-card deck (see also: http://www.poker1.com/mcu/mculib_odds.asp).

Basically, you never want to come into the pot with anything less than JJ.
Always come into the pot raising.
UTG: KK or > only.
UTG+1: QQ or >.
Button, if no one else is in, TT or > if you have an A or 2 cards > T in your hand (less likely-hood of the blinds defending).

Again, read the Super System section.

Good luck.. I'm DOMIT on the tables there.. give a shout out if you see me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

GL
Old 08-30-2004, 09:47 PM

I'm just curious to those that play Draw online, how profitable is it? I don't know anyone that does, so it would be enlightening to me.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious to those that play Draw online, how profitable is it? I don't know anyone that does, so it would be enlightening to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it profitable [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

'Course, I only play about an hour a day (I've put in 172hrs in the last 8 months for about 5hr/week). But I average over 2BB/hr according to my StatKing db. I see some of the regulars there talk about how they love to play, that it's "easy money"... FWIW .. YMMV [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2004, 05:11 AM

I never know what to do when I raise 4s up, people call and draw 3, and it's to me with a player behind. For now I'm just checking, but I'm worried that I'm missing massive amounts of value bets.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason Malmuth has written a book for draw, but I have no idea if it is what you would be looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent book. It will get you thinking about the game. However, the PP game conditions are different: no bug, shorthanded, two blinds. That is not how draw was played at Gardena when MM wrote this book.