Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: 99 in the SB. I raise, check-call, check-fold.

5 players remaining, UTG bettor? Probably 4 or 6 on the turn + 1-3 on the river.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you help me understand the flop call?

Well, the flop call was why I posted. My thinking was: I have a backdoor straight draw, and if I spike a set, then sure I might lose, but I may also win a ton.

I think the flop check/call's the only debatable thing in the hand, and if I could explain it better then I probably would be able to make up my mind on it one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fine (although even with a T on the turn your straight draw is more like a gutshot, since a K on the river means you'll lose to any A).

Next hand.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:32 PM

I like the preflop raise a ton....I don't have any problems with taking a card off on the flop....it's shaping up to be a large pot, and I think if you spike a 9 you are gonna be ahead way more times than you are gonna be behind...for one small bet on the flop, with a pot this big, given your position....i'm calling every time
Old 08-30-2004, 09:38 PM

you're somewhere in the ballpark of 11:1 to make the set by the river. Assuming you only had that flop bet to call it would be worth it, but since you have to pay off the bigger turn bet if you don't make it on the flop, I don't think the effective odds say you can call.

How big do you estimate your implied odds to be?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:09 PM

If there was only one overcard on the flop, you might be in the lead but you are unlikely to stay in the lead. You are giving up huge reverse implied odds. See SSH p. 33-34.
I don't have a problem with your actual actions as the cards actually fell.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 PM

Hey Bison,

This is an area I've had a problem with over the last few months. 77-99 in the SB or BB after a billion limpers. What would happen to me is, I'd raise 88 from the BB after 5 player complete, they would all call. Flop would be QJ4. Now I'd check, and call a bet. If I spike an 8, then great, just have to fade the straight.

The way I play this now, and I'd like comments as well, is to just check, or complete the SB with 99-22. If you hit a set, c/r, if you miss, you aren't as tied to the hand because you didn't raise preflop.

If you are the type of player that can raise preflop, then check/fold a bad flop, then raising seems like a good play. I've found that raising the flop might lead to chasing.

Derek
Old 08-31-2004, 12:06 AM

There are 17 SB in the pot when it's back to you and at least 3 opponents. Figuring your implied odds, plus you back door str8 draw, offset by spiking your 9 might give someone a str8, it's pretty close.

At the table, in the heat of battle, when it's pretty close I lean towards calling.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:08 AM

Looks reasonable.