Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 05:15 PM

Default My mind says fold, my body says no

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Since I have a pair, the flop will bring a pair, happens to me all the time lol

Look at the flop cold-call. Now no one is going to call without a Queen or a 2 if they are an idiot. Now I know at these limits people will slowplay trips all the time. On the river, I was almost ready to bet that he had a queen, but the pot seemed big enough to call, should I have?

Btw I know MP2 didnt have a queen, raised to drive people with overcards out.

-Sent
Old 08-30-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: My mind says fold, my body says no

So... your contention is that cold-calling your flop raise meant that anyone who saw the turn most likely had 2-pair or trips. Not necessarily correct, but fairly likely. Then you checked through the turn because of the liklihood of being check-raised and to take your free card. I don't know, man. This is a cheaper way of showing down your hand, but is that really what you want? You're not going to improve often enough for the free card to add much value, so how likely is it that you're ahead on the turn? I'm not sure I'm ready to throw in the towel just yet.

I understand where you're coming from... there are no draws, and you showed aggression both pre- and post-flop, which would tend to indicate that you're not going to be beaten by something like 7s... but is anybody listening? Could just be stubbornness on my part, but I think I need to bet. If I'm check-raised, I'll decide what to do based on what I know about villain. Your line is interesting, and I'll be curious to see what other people have to say about it.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:24 PM

On the river a call is the right move. The SB might have a Q, but the amount already in the pot make a call the logical move. MP2 would obviously raise the river with a Q, so you have him beat, leaving only the SB. If you have any sort of info on the SB that would naturally help you out. Would he slowplay the flop and turn? While possible with the amount in the pot I couldn't bring myself to throw your hand away unless I had some good info on the SB to make me 95% confident that he has a Q.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:56 PM

you are probably beat..but you only have the best 1 time out of 12 hands -- your jacks will hold up that often-- you have to call
Old 08-30-2004, 06:59 PM

It's true he could just have an underpair of some sort. I've been running bad the past couple of days, expecting the worst when I should'nt be.

Anyway with that being said
Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qs 7s (three of a kind, queens).
MP2 shows 2c 6c (two pair, queens and twos).
Hero shows Jc Jh (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 12 BB. </font>

-Sent
Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM

I agree. I think he should be betting that turn.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:35 PM

A Q isn't checkraising that turn, they might try it if an overcard falls.

You gotta bet it and if you are raised you might be beat if you arent then you get a few extra bets in the pot. A Q would probably cap the flop as well.