Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Best Mirco-limits?

Whew, that means I'm playing over my level with only 40~50 bucks total bankroll when I sit down at a .10/.20 table.

Lets see, thats 60 min. Should I step back down to .5/.10 until I get it above 60?

Also I always bring in 50BB when I sit down, is that a robust enough figure?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:01 AM

Pacific 0.5/1 is looser than Party 0.5/1 - also more passive
Old 08-30-2004, 11:21 AM

How much you specifically sit down at the table with can vary a great deal. Some folks like to sit down with 60 to 100 times the BB in order to intimidate some of the weaker players. Personally I find this thinking flawed, because I don't want the other players intimidated, I want them thinking I'm a crappy player and entering the pot when I am playing my strong hands.

Sitting down with 20-40 times the BB should be fine. The one thing you want to make sure of is that you NEVER let your stack of chips at the table drop below 12 BB in a limit game. The reason you don't let it fall below 12 BB is that if you hit a monster hand and you get lots of participants in the pot you don't want to wind up going all-in on the flop or turn and missing out on all those extra bets you could be collecting.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 PM

Just remember with Pacific you can't get hand histories so Pokertracker is useless there. I currently play there at the .25-.50 tables but am thinking of switching to another site so I can track hand histories and maybe play a couple of tables at once. Is it worth the trade-off?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whew, that means I'm playing over my level with only 40~50 bucks total bankroll when I sit down at a .10/.20 table.

Lets see, thats 60 min. Should I step back down to .5/.10 until I get it above 60?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you feel about reloading. If you're cool with putting in a few more bucks if you hit a big slide, then play the highest level you feel comfortable with and can afford. If this is absolutely, positively it as far as money goes, I'd suggest being a lot more careful. Always carrying at least 300 BB for any given level is a good minimum requirement, and you might think about keeping more around if it'll help you keep your game together when things are going badly.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:58 PM

For .5/1, Paradise is the best I've played.

Compared to party, 2% more seeing the flop, slightly lower avg pot, significantly lower rake, and 0.8 BB/100 higher winrate (after 17k paradise hands).
Old 08-30-2004, 04:03 PM

For what it's worth, I deposited $30 at UB several months ago playing 25/50 and recently switched to Party Poker with 3X my initial buy in at UB (thanks to an $18 jackpot and a $10 NL win). In 5 sessions at Party, I'm up 45 BB.

MUCH looser game at PP, but I credit the upswing to Ed's book. It already paid for itself!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party's .5/1 has the softest games of any major site.

[/ QUOTE ]
It also has the wildest of anywhere I've played.. You can probably make more/hr there but you need a bigger BR to soak up the variance.. Pacific has games that are just as easy, but it seems more passive...

In the last 10000 hands on Pacific, I haven't ever been down more than 60BB from my all-time peak. I played party for a few months and I was always +50, -40 +80 -45 +20 +35, -50, etc.... It's more of a rollercoaster, no doubt about it.

My typical sessions on Pacific are +20 -8 +4 +7 -15 +9 +12 +14 -6 etc.... You give up a lot to play Pacific tho, no multi-tabling, no downloadable hand histories, slow crappy software, but I still prefer it.

Plus Partypoker scammed me out of my invite-a-friend bonuses, I'm still kinda pissy about that.. When Pacific gives you a bonus, it's up to YOU to work it off. Party requires the friend you invite to work it off, and if the invitee's suck and bust, you get nothing..

And dont even get me started on the rake!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also I always bring in 50BB when I sit down, is that a robust enough figure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like a 50 BB buy in--that's what I go with. More certainly seems exessive. A lot of folks like less and that's fine too. Whatever your personal preference is is fine.

--Zetack
Old 08-30-2004, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just remember with Pacific you can't get hand histories so Pokertracker is useless there. I currently play there at the .25-.50 tables but am thinking of switching to another site so I can track hand histories and maybe play a couple of tables at once. Is it worth the trade-off?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always just keep a spreadsheet.... It won't be as detailed, but you can still track your progress yourself. For ring games I just record sessions, date/time, $won/lost, and session duration.. You can derive bb/hr, streaks, appx #hands, and all kindsa other stuff from that.. For tournys I record the buyin and place, and formulas take care of ITM, ROI, profit, etc..

I used to swear pokertracker was the greatest thing in the world, but now I don't miss it one bit.. After a while, you KNOW what hands you should be folding, what situations to stay away from, etc.. You don't need a prg to tell you KTo loses you $$. Stuff like aggression factor is kinda nice, but if you're playing good starting hands, you're going to naturally be aggressive cuz you're going to be on top more often.