Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 03:13 PM

Default What is the right play?

In a $1-2 stud game. Dealt akq8 s. should I push this hand or check call?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: What is the right play?

I'm assuming it's high only, and that no one has paired their door card on fourth. You are about 50/50 to make your flush by the river (depends how many of your suit are out elsewhere). So if you have one opponent, you might just throw in a raise on fifth to see if you can knock hiim out or get a free card on sixth if you miss. If you have two or more callers, though, this is a good hand to ram and jam with early -- especially if you can catch a big pair and another flush draw (yours will likely be best since you have AKQ).

Bottom line -- this is a very strong hand, it can win even if you miss your flush but pair your big cards or make broadway.

But it's still a draw, so you don't want to give a lot of action head up on later streets when you miss. And you want to beware anyone with trips -- they are drawing to a full house.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:41 AM

I usually can't get enough money in with a big four-flush. Assuming your cards are live, and it is unlikely that you are up against trips, I would try to get in as many bets as possible. The only reason that I might smooth call a bet is if by raising I figure to lose players behind me. If there is a bet and a couple of calls to me, I'm raising.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:03 AM

I agree with the Pooh-Bah.

You're 50/50 to make a flush if your cards are live, but with this hand you're well above 50% to win because of the other ways you can win.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 PM

I agree with Andy here although you might not be a 50% fav you are a strong money fav likely 44.4% and have great equity with this hand. raise unless you have specific reasons not to. your reason, to drive more money into the pot. if people fold you got dead money in there and have presented your self as the aggressor with loads of redraws to equitable hands. Another play might be to raise on 5th. this play does have certain risks as well.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:35 PM

Push it.

-Dimitri
Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 AM

i am presuimng that you mean you have a fourflush on fourth street. i would try to build as big a pot as possible here. this menas raising and reraising. this is one of the best hands to have at low limit stud on fourth street.

Pat
Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 AM

need more info; how many opponents?..how live are your cards?..what's the action before it gets to you on 3rd street to act?...there are rarely absolutes in poker, but a combination of these factors will help you determine whether you should play ANY flush draw and if so, how you should approach it strategically.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]