Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Newbie Backgammon question

I played a little backgammon in college...like, maybe 10 games total. But i played with this guy who wanted to really learn the game and take it seriously. He read a lot about it, and talked with math profs etc.

He told me everything I ever knew about the game, which was basically nothing. But he told me that the best starting roll is.....

See, I can't remember, and it's bugging me. Any help out there?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 08-28-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Newbie Backgammon question

[ QUOTE ]
I played a little backgammon in college...like, maybe 10 games total. But i played with this guy who wanted to really learn the game and take it seriously. He read a lot about it, and talked with math profs etc.

He told me everything I ever knew about the game, which was basically nothing. But he told me that the best starting roll is.....

See, I can't remember, and it's bugging me. Any help out there?

Thanks,

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

6-1 or 3-1.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:01 PM

The best rolls are probably 3-1, 6-1, 6-5, and 4-2 roughly in that order.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Undeniably correct.

How are you playing your 6-5, 13-2 right?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:51 PM

3-1. The 5 point is key.

Danny
Old 08-30-2004, 02:58 AM

The best opening roll is 3-1, 8/5 6/5. The 5-point is a good blocking point and an inner board point. Taking it prevents your opponent from making the best anchor. Making the 5 point unstacks your 6 point and allows you to play an ace constructively 6/5 later.

Next is 4-2, 8/4 6/4. Although this advances 2 more pips, it is not as good of a blocking point. It is harder to make 3 out of 5 points into a prime than 3 out of 4 points. A spare checker on the 4 point, past the open 5 point, is much less useful than a spare checker on the 5 point after 3-1. 4-2 is significantly worse than 3-1.

Next is 6-1, 13/7 8/7. Many beginners overestimate the importance of the 7 point, perhaps because they don't know what to do with a 6 other than to play 24/18. The 7 point is good, but it's better to make a point that both blocks and increases your board strength. With a subsequent 2-1, it is often right to trade the 7 point for the 5 point 6/5 7/5, leaving a shot. 6-1 is only slightly worse than 4-2.

Next is 5-3, 8/3 5/3. This is significantly worse than 6-1 and 4-2. The 3 point is good for attacking, but not good for blocking.

Next is 6-5, 24/13. This is about even with 5-3. Escaping a back checker is a worthwhile accomplishment, but it is more important when you lead in the race. After 24/13, you are only ahead by 7 pips since your opponent is on roll (worth 4 pips).

The other rolls are mediocre. Most leave you with a tiny advantage if played correctly.

If you study the opening rolls, you only eliminate a tiny fraction of your errors directly. However, learning why some plays are better than others can be quite helpful as the principles appear later. Many of the responses to the opening rolls are not obvious, and competitive players often make significant errors on the second roll of the game, e.g., with a 3-2 after 6-4 8/2 6/2.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Undeniably correct.

How are you playing your 6-5, 13-2 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new to backgammon talk, but aren't most of the doubles better? 6-6 seems to be much better than 3-1.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to backgammon talk, but aren't most of the doubles better? 6-6 seems to be much better than 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, 6-6 would be better. Although there are regional variants of backgammon that allow doubles on the first roll, doubles are not allowed in the usual international rules of backgammon. Each player rolls a die, and the player with the higher die plays both. If the dice are the same, the players reroll.

If doubles were allowed, 6-6 would be best, followed by 4-4, 3-3, 1-1, 2-2, and then 3-1. 5-5 doesn't play efficiently from the opening position, so it is about the same as 4-2.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:26 AM

pzhon,

If doubles were allowed who would play the double on the first roll? the white checkers or the black checkers?
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 AM

The only time I've played doubles, the winner of the first roll took both dice and rolled them for his first play. If that roll was then doubles, he played them as such. (I hope that makes sense, I'm a little sleep-deprived. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )