Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 04:40 PM

Default my very first Small Stakes Hand :-) River decision

Comments on all streets are fine...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (9.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero ?

Final Pot: 13.75
Old 08-28-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: my very first Small Stakes Hand :-) River decision

Why would you check the river? You still feel you have the best hand right?

-Sent
Old 08-28-2004, 05:18 PM

why do you check the river?

You very probably still have the best hand since the only hand that you should be afraid of is KT (and to a lesser extent 9T)probably with the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . Neither AQ or QQ is very likely holdings since both of those hands would have raised PreFlop...

Had you bet the river and get raised you could have been concerned of KT being out there, as it is now they could have easily put you on a busted lone K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] flushdraw. Thus the action...

Itīs a easy call me thinks...
Old 08-28-2004, 05:26 PM

Were you afraid of K-10? Shouldn't be. If either or both of these people were calling you down with an inside straight draw, you should be happy...

Bet it out... you were leading the betting and you stopped on the river, of COURSE you're going to get bet into...

Easy call, if it wasn't your very first hand and you had some reads I'd almost consider raising this again, you're probably against a lower two-pair on the end, as it is, call, and call even if it's capped on this river... maybe a bit expensive but it's a big pot, and someone's made two-pair on this river might look tasty at party. With better reads, you might be able to give up on this or raise, but for now, call, easily, and you're probably raking it.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Looking back I can't believe I checked that River. I guess I was worried about the flush or something [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I called, and both the other players had spiked lower two pairs and MHIG.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:38 PM

Quit being so weak tight, seriously. The pattern of their betting/raising looks more like 2 pair than anything else and AJ/AQ are not really a concern.