Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Where Do You Fit In Religion Wise?

There is no God ...... God is....
What the the hell does that mean?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:37 PM

Default We do see why.

J, and it's not even close!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:40 PM

When a child is learning to ride a bike, does a loving parent take the bike away immediately when the child scrapes a knee or does the loving parent allow the child to make mistakes and thereby learn? The parent has a greater understanding and knows that a few scraped knees are an acceptable exchange for learning a new skill that can provide enjoyment for decades to come.

I know that someone is going to jump in and say "Wars are bigger than scraped knees!" but it is a matter of perspective. A scraped knee is devasting to a child but an adult may not even notice.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:43 PM

Good point, if I am delusional at least this delusion attempts to make the world a little nicer.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:04 PM

J...good list
Old 08-27-2004, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a child is learning to ride a bike, does a loving parent take the bike away immediately when the child scrapes a knee or does the loving parent allow the child to make mistakes and thereby learn?

[/ QUOTE ]

A loving parent will consider taking the bicycle away after millions of his children over the course of thousands of years have killed themselves by falling off the bicycle. A better parent would know that it's time to demonstrate how to ride the bicycle again since it's been so long since the first demonstration... oh wait, that's right, there was no demonstration. It was just "here son - here's the bike. Try not to get yourself hurt!"

[ QUOTE ]
The parent has a greater understanding and knows that a few scraped knees are an acceptable exchange for learning a new skill that can provide enjoyment for decades to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I used a chainsaw, my father told me to be careful that I don't touch the saw while it's turned on and cut off my fingers. Fortunately, my father didn't think it was necessary for me to cut off parts of my body to learn not to touch the saw while it's on.

How you can compare the continuing deaths of millions for nothing to scraped knees is beyond my comprehension.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that someone is going to jump in and say "Wars are bigger than scraped knees!" but it is a matter of perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perspective? This is people's LIVES we are talking about. This is a major contradiction. Are you comfortable with the idea that your life is INSIGNIFICANT to God? How can one simultaneously love someone and think his life is insignificant? Oh wait, I'll answer for you: "God works in mysterious ways."

[ QUOTE ]
A scraped knee is devasting to a child but an adult may not even notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

May not even notice? The omnipotent all-knowing creator and ruler of everything should be paying more attention. It's hard to learn your lesson after you're dead.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:19 PM

no God
Old 08-27-2004, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the widespread belief in the magical, invisible man living in the clouds has stunted a decent amount of serious scientific advancement, as well. Why bother with cancer research funding if you believe in an afterlife or think that god controls our lives here on earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

When some young girl in africa gets her arms chopped of by a machete, what is gained from this?
When dictators slaughter innocents by the thousands, what is gained from this?
When a child burns to death after playing with matches, what is gained from this?
People are crippled in horrible car crashes everday, what is gained from this?
When countless "heretics" were tortured/burned/decapitated, what was gained from this?

Christians typically respond with: "You can't understand God." , "God is bigger than this.", "God works in mysterious ways."

If God is all powerful, as Christians describe him, he could step in and prevent a horrific death for a toddler without breaking a sweat.
If this is true then he himself is responsible for every bad thing which happens.
God could have stopped Timmy McVeigh from blowing up that federal building, but no he decided those kids in the day-care deserve to be blown into little bits, or perhaps just partly crushed.

Not only am I nicer than God, he also happens to be responsible for every event we designate as tragic on the planet.

A child is drowning in a kiddy pool you are walking by but you don't want to get your hands wet so you let him float face down. His parents pull him out two minutes later and it is discovered he has severe brain damage (vegetable). If somebody found out about your non-action you would be persecuted and viewed as evil.

GOD DOES THIS STUFF EVERY MINUTE OF EVERYDAY!
Gee, Thanks God! You are way bigger than me so I don't see the reasons, but thanks for turning that kid into a vegetable, I am sure you had a good reason.

PS. I don't believe in you.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:35 PM

Like I said it is a matter of perspective. I understand that I will most likely be unsuccessful in changing your mind. I garuan- double damned- tee you that you will not change mine.

I have not attempted to change your mind, I have answered questions when asked.

I think we should agree to disagree and get back to poker discussions which this forum is all about. Although I have really enjoyed this thread.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM

i
PS
I wish you had set this up as a vote so the results would be easy to see.