Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Why Do No-Limit Players Suck In Limit

Yes, I obviously misunderstood your first post.
Always raise AA, but don't over raise. (3 or 4 times the BB is typical.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I also agree on your 22 point. The more the marrier, simply for the set value.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:57 PM

I don't really agree with your initial statement about how no limit players suck in limit. Rather, I believe if you are a good NL player, then you are bound to be a decent/good limit player as well. There are more variables you have to think about in NL, for example if the opponent is bluffing when he overraises (while at the same time he may overbet it knowing that you are good enough to sense that he may be bluffing, while he really isn't).

I do agree with your point that not all NL players are good limit players and the reason I could think of is because there isn't enough thrill in limit compared to NL. Why is it that most broadcasted tournaments are NL? It's because of the action/thrill/suspense of people going all in and busting/winning on unique cards which draw attention from the crowd.

In limit you won't have as much suspense knowing that even if you call all the way until the river, you won't lose your whole stack since the other guy can't bluff and raise all-in putting your whole stack at stake.

-http://www.pokernoob.com
Old 08-26-2004, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I win in no-limit tournaments and cash games but whenever I have the fancy to join a limit cash game I can count on losing. I was wondering why. What are the normal reasons decent no-limit players suck at limit? And no, I don' try to bully the table and bluff alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because you're...er...they're concetrating on trying to score with the 15-year-old coat check girl and not concentrating on the game.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:53 PM

I can't believe so many players flamed my post. It's true. The concepts are the same. As it is if you were to switch to stud/omaha etc you just have to be able and apply them and if you can't apply them you never understood them.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any good NL player who sucks at limit just sucks at poker, period. If he really was a good NL player he'd understand poker and be able to adjust to limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent post. Glad you could add some intelligent input to the forum.

NOT

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit blunt, perhaps, but tell me something. Is he wrong?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:44 AM

I agree 100% with your post actually, but I do think some players fail to adjust and what I posted were the reasons why.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:33 AM

I guess I should trust your opinion, even though guys with a little poker experience thinks that limit and no-limit are two completely different animals. Doyle Brunson is one of them.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:35 AM

Dude, if you are playing 2,7o then I don't really care to hear what you have to say.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:55 AM

Hi 1800GAMBLER -

I think you're sort of correct in principle. But realize that it is entirely possible for a player to discover by accident the correct strategy for any particular poker game. There aren't many of these, but since so many people are trying, they do exist. So it is in fact possible to be somewhat formidable at some particular game without understanding core poker concepts. Thus they would not be very good at other games.

This is particularly the case in no-limit, and especially in no-limit tournaments, where a player is often all-in before or on the flop. Obviously, skillful river play isn't all that important in such games, or at least not nearly as important as in limit. If you never play the river, you are going to have a hard time adjusting unless you really spend a lot of time thinking about general poker concepts.

Good Luck

Cepstrum