Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Checkraise the river?

UB 0.50/1 NL table

I'm UTG ($90) and raise to $4 with AA. Folded around to loose passive player in LP (LPPLP) who calls and BB calls.
LLPLP had been coldcalled raises pf with anything hoping to bust out players.

Flop ($12 in the pot): 5 5 T (suits don't matter)

BB checks, I bet $12, LLPLP calls, BB calls...hmmm. I begin to think someone may have a 5, but that may be monsters in the closet.

Turn ($48 in pot): T (5 5 T)

BB checks, I check, LLPLP bets $10, BB calls, and I call closing the action. Is this a bad call? They weren't exactly showing a ton of aggression, so I wasn't sure what they had.

River ($75 in pot): A (T 5 5 T)

BB checks...I should ???

Results to follow...
Old 08-25-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Checkraise the river?

UB 0.50/1 NL table

I'm UTG ($90) and raise to $4 with AA. Folded around to loose passive player in LP (LPPLP) who calls and BB calls.
LLPLP had been coldcalled raises pf with anything hoping to bust out players.

Flop ($12 in the pot): 5 5 T (suits don't matter)

BB checks, I bet $12, LLPLP calls, BB calls...hmmm. I begin to think someone may have a 5, but that may be monsters in the closet.

When two people call you on a board with absolutely no draws is is VERY likely someone has a 5. Keep that in mind. Onto the turn.

Turn ($48 in pot): T (5 5 T)

BB checks, I check, LLPLP bets $10, BB calls, and I call closing the action. Is this a bad call? They weren't exactly showing a ton of aggression, so I wasn't sure what they had.

There is two pair on board and you got two calls on the flop. Now if either of them called you with a 10, or just called with trips, you still have just 2 outs. The problem with the LPPLP's bet is it's just so small, I would feel compelled to call with my aces; the trick is you have to get the rest of the money in on the river with aces full to make it a worthwhile play.

River ($75 in pot): A (T 5 5 T)

BB checks...I should ???

The loose aggressive player should hopefully bet out again, with what he thinks is the best hand, (10s full) but if he does just have a 5, he may just check it. Why not lead out into this pot? With a 10 the LLPLP may even raise you, and with all the calls, 1 or both have a full boat and will pay you off.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:56 PM

Safe way out is to check it, but if I was holding the big boat I'd move all in and pray there aren't any quads, but then again they may just be slowplaying the hand.

If you bet $20 on the river, and it gets reraised all in against you, what're you going to do? You're stuck with the same decision except you're now more invested into the pot.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:41 PM

Safe way out is to check it, but if I was holding the big boat I'd move all in and pray there aren't any quads, but then again they may just be slowplaying the hand.

Sorry to be rude, but you should NEVER PLAY NLH AFRAID OF QUADS. Sure, it pays to be prudent, but there is such a little chance your aces full are beaten at that point, you shouldn't have worried about it.
Along those lines, one should never make the turn call if they truly think someone has quads, as they would be dead...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:00 PM

If you bet $20 on the river, and it gets reraised all in against you, what're you going to do? You're stuck with the same decision except you're now more invested into the pot.

Haha!! I would first start dancing around my computer and then happily press call!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 AM

For the most part, I agree with BobboFitos' post. I would have had a tough decision calling the bet on the turn since I'm almost definitely behind, but for $10 I'm sure I would have called too. I would bet out on the river, because if there is a T out, I will get called. With only about $60 left and a pot that is at $75 already, I'd probably push here and let them make the decisions. I would not worry about quads here. (but from the tone of the post, I'm going to guess that you got all your money in, BB folded and you saw pocket Tens or Fives from LLPLP.)
Old 08-27-2004, 06:33 AM

If you think you are behind on the turn here then you have to fold, you have $74 left to bet and have 2 outs to hit unless your against a 5 then you have 4 outs, even if you can guarentee getting both opponents all in when you hit you dont have odds to call. But there is a reasonable chance that you are still ahead, if the bettor is likely to bet small on the river either when bluffing or with made hands I'd call it down, but against aggressive players I'd consider folding