Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 03:06 AM

Default Why Do No-Limit Players Suck In Limit

I win in no-limit tournaments and cash games but whenever I have the fancy to join a limit cash game I can count on losing. I was wondering why. What are the normal reasons decent no-limit players suck at limit? And no, I don' try to bully the table and bluff alot.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Why Do No-Limit Players Suck In Limit

I'm guess hand selection might have some to do with it.

Starting hands are inherently valued differently in a NL game due to implied odds, though maybe not as much in tourney play as the stack sizes are usually much smaller compared to the blinds.

Small pocket pairs and suited connectors especially look much more appealing to a NL player than a limit player, and conversely those unsuited non-ace broadway cards like KJo and QJo that have less value in NL are worth much, much more EV in limit.

If you are used to playing NL, you might find yourself playing the wrong starting hands just out of habit rather than thinking about the necessary adjustments.

Also, postflop play can be quite different, as controlling the pot size (and the size of the field to a lesser extent) in a limit game involves much more subtlety IMO than in NL or PL. TPTK is generally a stronger holding in limit than in NL. Reading hands is much different as you typically don't have as much information to go on in a limit game as you do in NL. And, the fact that the pot odds are usually so much better than NL means you are going to be showing down more hands, and will be up against a wider range of holdings when you show down.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:23 AM

NL players that suck at limit probably do so because their starting hand selection sucks and postflop they probably fold too much when they read they're beat even though the potsize probably dictates something outside of folding. Basically, they aren't accustomed to multiway action.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:55 AM

Shouldn't your post be titled - Why do I suck at Limit?

I am sure many people here are winning player at both Limit and no limit - if you feel you can't handle the limit game, then ask for specific advice, or try and post some hands you think you are losing that you should win at.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM

I don't play limit nearly as well as no limit. I play similar starting hands, but most hands in limit are played to showdown and usually with more folks involved. That means you have to beat more hands. In no limit, you can usually get some people to fold just by betting or raising enough. Then, you only have one or two people to beat.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:10 AM

Becuase in limit you cant just go all in to protect your vunerable hand and get everyone to fold.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:14 AM

Would guess it would be starting hand choices and position.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Becuase in limit you cant just go all in to protect your vunerable hand and get everyone to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though hand selection is probably part of it, this part may be an even bigger issue. In fact, you often hear it from NL players playing limit. They'll bluff at a pot by raising simply because they sense weakness. Of course, fish don't fold when they have bottom pair so this doesn't do anything but put more money in the pot.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:00 AM

I play no limit as well as limit and I wouldn't say that I'm great at either but I do alright in both. It's hard to know what your particular problem is without seeing hands that you play. Post some hands in the micro and small stakes forums and they should get you straightened out. Buy a copy of Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed miller as well. Things like value betting and calling down when beaten are much more important in limit than in no-limit. Many times in a limit you can be pretty sure your hand is currently beaten but should call anyway because the pot is so big and the bet size comparatively small.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if your hand is a favorite then I don't want everyone to fold, in limit or NL.
I am by far a better limit player than no limit, but I'm still a winning NL(small stakes) player.