Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Losing too much money...

[ QUOTE ]
What is SSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Small-Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller + S&M
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people with lots of experience play with 600+BB's

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true once they settle into their comfort zone and need to sustain a BR, but if I were to have to start over, I'd feel quite comfortable starting at 2/4 with 800 or so.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On average, 30-60 players are losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means little. At every level there are more losers than winners.

[/ QUOTE ]
I brought it up to discredit your reference to several 30-60 players who play KQo UTG. I'm glad you agree that 30-60 players make many mistakes and are often losers. That means they are not automatically authoritative sources. They may be playing hands that were winners for them at lower limits, but lose at higher limits.

[ QUOTE ]
I find it funny for people who go on Pokerroom stats as those are general not concrete data as each game changes with level and players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you would call concrete. Why would you prefer a statistically insignificant sample of the 15 times you had KQo UTG (all 10-handed? all the same limit?) rather than data from thousands of times people have had KQo UTG in a 10-handed game, sorted by level?

[ QUOTE ]
And no, your arguements (or lack there of, except if you count a lot of stats) have not changed my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think the only arguments I made were statistical, you may want to reread what I wrote.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't, but sometimes I play at higher limits to win more ($, not BB/100),

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me lose a lot of value in your post. Why not keep playing in the highest game you can if you win more $? This shows me you probably have little playing experience, or are just a break-even or slightly winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me clarify what I expected you to be able to get out of the above phrase: You asked why anyone would play in a tough game. A tough game means that you can win fewer BB/hour. Sometimes a tough game is more profitable because the stakes are higher. This shows up in $/hour, not BB/hour. However, sometimes the good higher limit games don't exist. Sometimes, a tough game is beatable, but not for as many $/hour as a lower level game. Further, sometimes it is correct to avoid a +E$ game if you make more elsewhere or your bankroll is insufficient. The same correct ideas show up in essays on this site, and in many 2+2 books.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Stupid Question...

OK I am a newbie...

What do UTG, MP and CO stand for?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Stupid Question...

[ QUOTE ]
What do UTG, MP and CO stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be an abbreviations link in the frame to the left. It is not very good, though.

UTG means under-the-gun, the first position to act preflop. UTG is part of early position. UTG+1 is the position after UTG.

MP means middle position, acting after early position and before late position.

CO means cut-off, the position acting just before the button. CO is part of late position.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:02 PM

spoken like a true programmer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]