Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Spyware and Adware removers

i also use spywareblaster. its supposed to keep spyware from getting on the computer in the first place instead of removing it once its already there.

oh and rusty, love your avitar buddy!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Do I want Firefox 0.9.3 or mozilla 1.7.2 ?

Whats the difference? Is one better?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:45 PM

I have a horror story about Adaware. I DL'ed it onto my computer and was using it to clean up my laptop. I ran my Norton Anti-Virus a day after installing Adaware and found that it had given me 2 trojans. It took the entire weekend to clear up and I haven't used it since! That is my story and I am sticking to it!
Old 08-25-2004, 02:00 PM

This may sound dumb, but where should I take my cpu to have someone look at it. I have norton's professional antivirus and it found that I had a virus (backdoor agent B) and the instructions to remove involved manually deleting it from the registry. Well I thought I had done it right but when I went back and tried to use IE it no longer worked although I could still get on AIM and my poker sites. Of course I saved the registry before I messed with is and now the item the instructions told me to delete no longer show up but I still get the virus warning. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Do I want Firefox 0.9.3 or mozilla 1.7.2 ?

I'd recommend Firefox...basically Firefox is the 'next generation' mozilla browser.

I can't really comment on what's actually different between the two, as I've never even tried the original Mozilla browser.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:22 PM

If you type the name of the virus+remove in google it will come up with alot of information on removal. is it a virus or spyware, there is a difference. If it was a virus then you need Norton to clean it out. if it was spyware you need to do what I suggested or find someone who is skilled enough to go into your registry.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used AdAware for a long time and switched to SpySweeper subscription services($20/year?) this year. It takes about 5 minutes to sweep. The first time I used it was after using AdAware then Spysweeper found a whole lot of crap still there. That was what sold me.

MS Sunshine

[/ QUOTE ]

MS ... Slacker's post directly concerns your situation. I did the exact same thing you did, and was sold on my "second" cleaner. ... Until I was having trouble and downloaded a third. The third picked up a whole bunch of junk the second didn't.

I run 3 programs, and use Mozilla, but I would not be surprised if there was more stuff in there.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM

It is a virus but Norton said it can't fix it on its own so it gave me instructions on how to do it manually, but I still couldnt fix it.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Do I want Firefox 0.9.3 or mozilla 1.7.2 ?

I use firefox almost all the time and I run both spybot and adaware weekly and they find very few problems. A few tracking things.

Ken
Old 08-25-2004, 03:33 PM

I would still do a google search. virusname+remove insturctions and see if their is a different remove procedure. When removing a virus manually you have to be very precise in following the procedures. I am not saying you weren't. Good Luck.