Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: I hate 20/2s

[ QUOTE ]
Even if he thinks I'll be as crazy as top 25% (roughly any ace, any pair, any suited broadway), he's still only a coin flip. Now, I see this all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you see it "all the time" then you should exploit it. This is similar to the common thread: I hate playing at low $$$ tables because....

The advice is always the same: make them pay for their bad play. Over time you'll win out over the bad play. No?

However, in this case the play was not that bad. If he had J3off, called your 1150 and paired the 3 on the turn, then I would agree.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:09 PM

If you see it "all the time" then you should exploit it.

I do want my opponents to make mistakes, yes. But mistakes that expose me to the maximum number of coin flips are not good for me.

However, in this case the play was not that bad.

Apaprently we can go around this all day. I outlined with what I thought was very good rationale for why it was a bad play. He:
1) called with no fold equity
2) as a 1:1.3 dog to my range of hands
3) putting his entire stack at risk
4) on the bubble with a shorter stack still left.
If I made this play and posted it, I should hope people would give me advice pointing out exactly these points and tell me that a call would be at best marginal.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:33 PM

I think we can all agree that this was a bad play on his part for the reasons that you mentioned but if it's happening all the time and it is, then you have to adjust your strategy for their poor play. Posting here to vent your frustration and not changing your playing style to accommodate for their apparent need to gamble isn't going to increase your ROI and it's not going to make them fold this next time.
They aren't going to change so you have to. Would you preferred your opponents played perfect poker and didn't love to gamble? Probably not. I know it sucks that they make mistakes but they aren't going to change until you change limits.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:29 PM

I dont think its a terrible play. Personaly I wait till the blinds are larger to make plays like this, but the A9s should NOT have called this.

In the future I would wait till the blinds are worth the steal for more then one reason. First off the obvious has been mentioned that you are only gaining 5%. Dont forget that you want to maintain your tight image to steal more blinds when they hit 100-200.

I fold the KQs preflop most of the time here. I hate KQ. I understand your push, and again I say that A9s should not call this.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 PM

...and changing limits is no guarantee either. There're rich wackos online too. Remember, poker is about odds, so as long as you're playing consistently and correctly, you will get the money.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM

As bad as his play was, I think yours was even worse. You bet T1150 to win T175 with a marginal hand. Though you didn't say, I'm going to assume he's been playing loosely the entire game, this makes it too likely he's going to call. If you look at it from his point of view, your large re-raise just looks like a resteal attempt. So he probably thinks he's ahead. I think in this situation(being chipleader) I just call and hope the flop hits me. You took a gamble and lost, a gamble you didn't even need to take. Yes your right he shouldn't have called, but he did and so will thousands more like him. Rule #1 in tournies is avoid large confrontations unless you can be certain you have much the best of it. You can't figure you have much the best of it with KQ, can you?