Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Turn dilemmas, part 3: blinds warfare

Hand 1: K4

BB will defend with anything and generally plays strangely (seen him check behind a calling station with top two on drawless board).

Preflop: Hero is SB with Kc, 4h.
[color=#666666]5 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4 SB) Jc, 5d, 3c [color=blue](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]BB raises</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

My thoughts here are (1) hope for free cards (2) allow an easy fold if he bets again on a blank. Again, reserve comments for the turn unless this is egregious.

Turn: (5 BB) 8c [color=blue](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>?? Pot big enough yet to semibluff? Cheap showdown too unlikely when out of position? This seems very questionable in hindsight, but I'm still new to shorthanded.

Hand 2: Ace-high

CO has successfully stolen the blinds a few times already.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets??</font>

I usually autobet the flop as the most recent aggressor; maybe it'll look like a failed c/r.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Turn dilemmas, part 3: blinds warfare

My first thought is what blind level is this? My second thought is if the table is folding round a lot and is sounds like it is in hand 2 if cut off is stealing blinds regular then this is not a good table and find another one.

Hand 1 I probably fold I have crap and for 1sb I dont care about this to risk anymore money epsicially at 3/6 where the sb is more than 50% to complete of the bb . Maybe too weak tight but I want big pots not ones like this.

Hand 2 - I dont like the 3 bet but once you do then you have to bet the flop if you think he he has nothing and is ont he steal, by checking the flop he may have a go at bluff raising the turn, you take the iniative 3 betting pf but then let it go.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:14 AM

Hand 1:

I don't really like anything about it. Why raise K4 against a guy that you know won't fold?

As for the flop and turn, does his strange play include bluff raising a lot or putting in a zillion bets then folding for one more? The whole hand just seems like you're trying to make a move for the sake of making a move.

Hand 2:

The preflop 3-bet is standard. So is a flop bet.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:26 PM

Hand 1: BB calls. River 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], check-check. BB shows 73o and MHIG.

Hand 2: CO calls. River 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], check-check. CO shows K2s and MHIG.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why raise K4 against a guy that you know won't fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
1) because he'll play 73o
2) because I do know how to fold

I think I can safely fold to the flop raise (but not if I had A4 or KQ). Barring that, the 3-bet/check was basically a combination of seeing where I'm at + hoping for a free card. If he's unafraid of a turn c/r, I can instafold a blank.

As it was, I picked up a flush draw for 6.5:1 odds, so I'm not going anywhere. The raise adds a very good chance of getting him to fold and an even better chance of a free showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
The whole hand just seems like you're trying to make a move for the sake of making a move.

[/ QUOTE ]
My primitive understanding of shorthanded does contain a nugget of this idea, I confess. What are your criteria?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: The preflop 3-bet is standard. So is a flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Honestly dunno what I was thinking, even if it suckered out an extra BB from K2.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:04 PM

In general these tables had been excellent. Check out my other "turn" posts -- these occurred toward the end of that session, but it hadn't been that long ago that I folded 2 orbits, raised UTG with AGs, and got 5 callers.